Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Documenting jobs/workflows

Posted Jan 02, 2018 09:55 AM
    Hello,

I was just wandering if anyone had any insight on how to best document jobs/worklows/process in Automic?

I know there is a documentation tab in each job and you can add additional tabs.

I started adding stuff into the documentation tab but realised in a lot of cases I was just duplicating the comments I had already added in the PRE/PROCESS/POST tabs.  Not totally sure of the benefit of having the comments/documentation in both places?

Also, any tips on how best to document workflows and any 'hidden' logic within them? e.g all the dependencies and post process conditions? Or by the visual workflow nature are they self documenting?

Cheers,

Dan

• 2.  Documenting jobs/workflows

Posted Jan 02, 2018 10:04 AM
    Well ... at this year's FOKUS meeting (association of German-speaking Automic users), there was a presentation on the subject of documentation. Being the only one who had to admit my company doesn't document at all probably makes me not ideal to respond ;) but several people seemed to look to external solutions, home-brew or not, for documentation. You may want to look into the third party tools available for that task.

APSware, who partnered with Automic, has a product that also includes documentation features (http://www.apsware.com/automic-solutions/automic-omniview/). There are other products that may provide this, too (such as xinfo).

Disclaimer: I am not associated with APSware at all. Unless you count getting their christmas card :)

• 3.  Documenting jobs/workflows

Posted Jan 02, 2018 10:14 AM
    Cheers Carsten will have a look :)

• 4.  Documenting jobs/workflows

Posted Jan 02, 2018 10:40 AM
    We usually have 2 Sources for documentation,

A) the job itself (for Developers & scripting details) :)
    B) our Ticket system for general information on the defined behavior of jobs/Workflows

cheers, Wolfgang