Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

One Automation Webservice Timeout

• 1.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Sep 21, 2017 02:31 PM
    I have multiple  SOAP based webservices that are taking over 60 minutes to run.  After 60 minutes, Automic will show the job as blocked, however I can watch the job complete in it's main application.  Somewhere there is a timeout at 60 minutes.  The job has both &conn_timeout# and 
    &read_timeout#  set to 7200 (2 hours).  Has anyone experienced this timeout?  Where else should I be looking?  Thank you!

• 2.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Sep 25, 2017 09:32 AM
    It is not recommend to work with long time out at web service calls.  The protocol the web service is using is not designed to wait for a long time until call is finished.  It is not reliable either, independent from Automic.

Would  it be possible to redesign the web service and split it a caller operation (which returns with runid/tracking code immediately) and an operation which checks whether the called service has finished or not. The second operation get executed periodically until the operation has returned that the service call has been finished.

• 3.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 03, 2017 10:58 AM
    Regardless, is there a way to set the client timeout on the Automic server? Unfortunately, I cannot work around a long running webservice call.

• 4.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 03, 2017 12:10 PM
    I've tested long running WS calls that were out for 2 hours or more and they never disconnected. Maybe you have some firewall rule in place that identifies the long running connection as idle and disconnects it? 

• 5.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 03, 2017 12:24 PM
    Did you have to reconfigure your API timeout for two hours?  Out of curiosity which web service are you using?  We are using SOAP.

• 6.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 03, 2017 07:38 PM
    I'm just utilizing our internal web service using SOAP. I start a WS job that calls an Automic job that runs for > 2 hours. The return value is the Run#. The WS job stays active as long as the Automic job is active and as soon as it ends it returns the Run#. This is achieved by setting the connection timeout value inside the WS job to a value > 7200.

• 7.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 10, 2017 11:44 AM
    The default WCF timeout value is 600 seconds. I need to understand how this can be adjusted from the client side on the Tomcat server.

• 8.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 10, 2017 11:13 PM
    This would be in the server.xml --> Connector section

<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
                   connectionTimeout="20000"
                   redirectPort="8443" />

The value is in milliseconds.

• 9.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 11, 2017 11:41 AM
    Thanks, Alexander!

• 10.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 11, 2017 04:13 PM
    Well, I was hopeful that would work, but it doesn't appear to be meshing with the WCF client side timeout conditions. The Automic SOAP calls are still timing out at 600 seconds. Any other thoughts?

• 11.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 13, 2017 01:27 AM
    Can you try the scenario described above using our internal web service to see if this job also times out after 600 seconds. This could help us narrow down if it's one of our components or just the different web services.

• 12.  One Automation Webservice Timeout

Posted Oct 14, 2017 09:06 PM
    We are using SOAP to connect to Costpoint and when called by Automic, I receive "The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable" after 60 minutes.  Oddly enough,  when I review the job in Costpoint, the job will continue to run to completion.  I feel like I'm missing something very obvious......