Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  What changed about Job Messenger Config between 10 and 12?

Posted Nov 12, 2018 06:50 AM

Hi.

The upgrade manual from 10 to 12 says:

To ensure that jobs call the new Job Messenger, follow the steps below:

1. Correct the file name of the Job Messenger in the INI file when you upgrade the agent (variable UC_EX_JOB_MD).
    2. When installing the new agent in the same directory as the old one, you must delete the old Job Messenger after the installation process.
    3. Instead of adjusting the INI file during the upgrading process, you can also create a link that points to the new messenger. Use uppercase letters for the old messenger names. Example for Linux: ln -s ucxjli3m UCXJLI3M

Does anyone know what this means?

There is no UCXJLI3M in the agent download for Windows or Linux, only ucxjwx6m or the UNIX equivalent, same as in version 10, so visibly nothing has changed about the file name. Hence, the snippet above makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

• 2.  Re: What changed about Job Messenger Config between 10 and 12?

Posted Nov 12, 2018 01:18 PM

Hi Carsten,

sounds a bit weird to me as well :-S

here my 2ct (actually 2GRD):

1) was always recommended in the past, as per default in ini file its UC_EX_JOB_MD=ucxj???m

2) Its always been "Automic strongly recommends installing the agent in a separate directory." No Idea why this is mentioned...

3) hmm yes.

regarding x86 (if the x86 was your point) - Yes there does exist a ucxjli3m binary as part of the 32 Bit linux agent (here from V11.2.9)

As long as I can remember job messenger binary was in lowercase letters.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: What changed about Job Messenger Config between 10 and 12?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 12, 2018 01:28 PM

Hi again

I found - at least a part of - the explanation.

In Operations Manager 8 the binaries were delivered uppercase.

Which leads to the next question: Are OM 8 Agents still supported with V12.X ?
    I am aware of the rumor of 2 Major versions :-)

If not why is this mentioned in documentaion?

cheers, Wolfgang

• 4.  Re: What changed about Job Messenger Config between 10 and 12?

Posted Nov 13, 2018 04:24 AM

Thanks!

I have the consultant here at the moment, he also says it's because of the upper case to lower case change Automic did at some point. He believes certain V10 agents still came with upper case names, possibly early 32 bit agents for V10.

Either way, the documentation could be clearer. Alas ...