Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Export with references

• 1.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 08:18 AM
    I got curious - a colleague asked:

Is there anywhere a summary after "export with references" which objects got exportet?
    Due to some limitations I can not rely that every object got exportet. objects in curly brackets, or in conditions.
    During my first attempt an include was mentioned as non-existing althoug it did definitely exist...

I observed a search result in JWP log, or thought about parsing the exported XML file but nevertheless I wonder, if there is an easier and more secure method to retrieve all exportet objects?

Has anybody a hint or explanation?

many Thanks & have  great weekend,
    Wolfgang

• 2.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 08:26 AM

Yes, Wolfgang - good point - thank you!

It is indispensable to know which objects are going to be replaced if you do an import + replace existing objects of the exported XML file.

Regards,
    Gregor

• 3.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 09:40 AM
    Oh Wolfgang,

was anything ever not possible with Automic? Of course there is a way. There's always a way ... with Automic *)  :p

When you export, the AE server log has a list of everything that is resolved as a "reference":

U00045045 Search for all reference-objects of object 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY'.
    U00045057 Object 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY' in client '100' refers to 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY'.
    U00045057 Object 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY' in client '100' refers to 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY'.
    [...]
    U00045046 Found '67' reference-objects for object 'EDITED_FOR_SECURITY'.

*) I lied.

• 4.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 10:06 AM
    Jo Mei, my dear Friend Carsten - I think you did NOT lie but you dit not tell the full truth"
    There's always a way ... with Automic *)

Thanks, yeah I discovered the JWP logs holding that info that the objects were found (!!).

I was more or less searching for a definite Report/Information/Confirmation what was DEFINITELY exported.

cheers, & THX,

*) somehow.
    *) in most cases.
    *) ignoring security.
    *) if generate@Runtime is NOT checked

• 5.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 10:15 AM
    Hmmm ... for a definitive confirmation, you probably need to parse the XML file (as you already mentioned). Not sure how though, the "name=" element works, but a bunch of other trash can be found there, too.

Oh, speaking about that (see what I did there? "trash can"?) :D  I think a request for a list of exported objects in the UI would be perfectly suited for ideas.automic.com.

Best,
    Carsten

• 6.  Export with references

Posted Mar 02, 2018 10:23 AM
    Yeah I thought about that, and "name=" was my first attempt just for fun.

It would be hmmm a workarounf but I am afraid its not 100% fail safe.
    Especially when upgrading and the XML format might change....

trash can checked.

Did you see mine? :-)

cheers, Wolfgang

• 7.  Export with references

Posted Mar 05, 2018 05:57 AM
    I found out an interesting difference between UI function "export with references" and Script function ":EXPORT"

• UI Function does not provide any information, which objcts were definitely exported
    • SCRIPT function :EXPORT prints a detailed List inc. export count into the report - see below

2018-03-05 11:31:03 - U00021721 EXPORT, counter '0000000001': Object: 'JOBP.B_5' exported.
    2018-03-05 11:31:03 - U00021721 EXPORT, counter '0000000002': Object: 'JOBS.WIN.WORKFLOWCONSTRUCT.WINJOB' exported.
    2018-03-05 11:31:03 - U00021721 EXPORT, counter '0000000003': Object: 'JOBI.GENERIC.PRINT_ALL_PARENTS' exported.
    2018-03-05 11:31:03 - U00021722 EXPORT. Objects successfully exported to file: 'C:\Temp\EXPORT_Workflowconstruct.xml'. Number of objects: '0000000003'.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 8.  Export with references

Posted Mar 07, 2018 05:33 AM
    Is there a way to use Export with references with more than one object at a time?

• 9.  Export with references

Posted Mar 07, 2018 07:32 AM
    I'm afraid there's no other way than using EXPORT() or the Java/.NET API. Till now ...

• 10.  Export with references

Posted Mar 07, 2018 07:39 AM
    Till now ...

Well, now that we have an AWI, it's only a matter of time until someone discovers https://www.seleniumhq.org/ and automates the Automation Engine beyond APIs (e.g. to export multiple things at once) but at that point I'm definetly out ;)

• 11.  Export with references

Posted Mar 07, 2018 09:57 AM
    BTW: whats wrong with:

* Transport case
    * export with references in a loop
    * JAVA API

We use a JAVA API tool from a consultant since ages (as far as I know Buffalo Bill created it) with several parameters...

cheers, Wolfgang

• 12.  Export with references

Posted Mar 08, 2018 03:33 AM
    Opened REQ00221361 to clearify why script function export with references provides a summary and UI manual function does not...

• 13.  Export with references

Posted Mar 12, 2018 12:20 PM

I opened an enhancement request related to this topic:

Provide summary after XML export

When an AE objects are exported, the AE does not print any messages  about the status of the export. It would be nice if the AE also provided  a summary of the export.

E.g., 
    Summary of XML export: 
    100 total objects selected for export.
    Export includes 2 external objects.
    Export includes folder structure.
    95 objects exported successfully:
    Object #1: UC0.TEST1.JOBP
    Oject4 #2: UC0.TEST1.JOBS
    2 external objects included in export file:
    External object #1: UC0.TEST2.JOBF
    External object #2: UC0.TEST2.SCRI

5 objects not exported. See errors below:
    Object UC0.TEST3.PRPT could not be exported ...                    

If you like the idea, please vote for it.

• 14.  Export with references
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2018 09:12 AM
    For the sake of completeness, I got an answer from support on my request why the script function does return a summary and UI function does not:

..this would be an enhancement request..

the word CONCISTENCY should be explained to the PM folks.....

cheers, Wolfgang