Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Why we need to create dedicated AE user before installing Unix agent

• 1.  Why we need to create dedicated AE user before installing Unix agent

Posted 03-15-2018 12:29 PM
    Hi All,

- Could someone please explain me the importance of creating a dedicated "AE" user before installing Linux agent and why can't we just go with our domain Active Directory user. Any specific reason behind it.
    - Can I create a user named "ae" instead of "AE" or else something readable username like "automic"

Thanks in Adavance,

-Srujan.

• 2.  Why we need to create dedicated AE user before installing Unix agent

Posted 03-15-2018 12:43 PM
    Hi All,

- Could someone please explain me the importance of creating a dedicated "AE" user before installing Linux agent and why can't we just go with our domain Active Directory user. Any specific reason behind it.
    Security, and best Practices established over several decades of UNIX. Of course you can use any other user, but a dedicated user usually ensures that you don't accidentially configure any security snafus where suddenly some possibly unauthorized AD user can replace the agent binaries.

edit: Oh, and one more reason to NOT use an AD user: Depending on the plugin you use to plug AD users into Linux, I'm not sure whether this works with Automic. I have seen cases where stuff didn't work if the user was not in /etc/password but came via PAM or somesuch. It will probably work, but if not, you're on your own.

Can I create a user named "ae" instead of "AE" or else something readable username like "automic"

Sure, go nuts! As long as you stick to the OS-specific requirements for a user name, I don't see any problem. In fact, we also don't use "AE" but something else. In the interrest of general well-being, I recommend to stick to something in plain ASCII, no more than eight characters (otherwise it gets cut off in certain situations) and start with a plain letter. And keep it all lower case.

Using upper case for UNIX user names, like "AE" ... well that's bad form in my books anyway, at least on Linux.

Hth,