Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 02, 2018 01:01 PM
      |   view attached

Hello Experts,

We are using GMT time zone to schedule some of our jobs and the DST flag is enabled for this time zone.

In time zone definition, I can see that the 'Change to Daylight Saving Time on' is updated as 5th Sunday of March and 'Revert to Normal Time on' is updated as 5th Sunday in October.

But there are only 4 Sundays in March and October 2018. So I am bit confused how its going to get adjusted automatically. Does anyone using GMT timezone with DST flag enabled ? Is it working as expected ?

Even if we maintain as 5th Sunday, is it going to check the last Sunday of that Month ?

Please provide your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Abin

• 2.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2018 02:05 PM

Hi Abin,

The following explanation is provided in docops about how Daylight Saving Time works:

Daylight Saving Time

CA Workload Automation DE observes daylight saving time (DST) depending on where it is installed in the world.

For example, in Sydney, Australia, DST is observed; spring forward occurs at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October and fall back occurs at 3:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of March. Some places, such as Phoenix, USA and Regina, Canada, do not observe DST.

Spring-Forward Adjustments

In the North American Eastern Standard Time Zone, DST starts on the second Sunday of March at 2:00 a.m.; the time springs forward one hour to 3:00 a.m. The following illustration displays DST spring forward:

This illustration displays DST spring forward.

Events that are scheduled to run during the spring-forward transition period (2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. on the day spring forward occurs) run immediately after the transition at 3:00 a.m. For example, Event A is scheduled at 2:30 a.m. on March 11, 2007. At 01:59:59 a.m., the time springs forward to 3:00 a.m. At 3:00 a.m., the server considers Event A overdue and triggers the Event immediately.

At the job level, if a job has a submission time of 2:30 a.m., the server submits the job at 3:00 a.m. (assuming all other dependencies have been met). For example, Event B is scheduled daily, suspended at 2:30 a.m., and resumed at 5:00 a.m. On March 11, 2007, the server suspends the Event at 3:00 a.m. and resumes the Event at 5:00 a.m.

The server adjusts the times for the following to 3:00 a.m. if they fall in the spring-forward transition period:

• Event simulation for the current year
    • Event trigger
    • Event schedule criteria (resume and suspend times)

• Important! The server does not allow an Event’s suspend and resume times to both fall in the spring-forward transition period. For example, if the suspend time is 2ND SUNDAY OF MARCH 2:20AM and the resume time is 2ND SUNDAY OF MARCH 2:50AM, the server resolves both times to 3:00 a.m., which is not allowed.
    • execTrigger function
    • Time dependencies
    • Facility to test schedule criteria for the current year
    • External job synchronization
    Note: For the server to adjust the time, you must state the time in the schedule criteria explicitly (for example, 2:30 SUNDAY, but not EVERY 35 MINUTES).

The server does not adjust the times for the following to 3:00 a.m. if they fall in the spring-forward transition period:

• Event simulation of jobs with time dependencies
    • Event simulation for future years
    • genTime function
    • Event listing
    • Forecasting
    • Facility to test schedule criteria for future years
    Note: When the schedule criteria takes the form EVERY [N] MINUTES, the server does not adjust the time for the spring-forward transition period. For example, if NOW is 00:00 a.m. on the day spring forward occurs, EVERY 35 MINUTES schedules the Event at 12:35 a.m., 1:10 a.m., 1:45 a.m., 3:15 a.m., 3:50 a.m., and so on. In this case, the 2:15 a.m. scheduled time occurs at 3:15 a.m., not at 3:00 a.m.     

Fall-Backward Adjustments

In the North American Eastern Standard Time Zone, DST ends on the first Sunday of November at 2:00 a.m.; the time falls back one hour to 1:00 a.m. The following illustration displays DST fallback:

This illustration displays DST fallback.

Events that are scheduled during the fall-back transition period (1:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. time period on the day fall back occurs) will not run twice. For example, on the day fall back occurs, 1:15 a.m. occurs twice spaced one hour apart. The first time, 1:15 a.m. occurs on the DST scale; the second time, 1:15 a.m. occurs on the EST scale. Events always run during the second time interval (Standard scale). In this case, the Event runs at 1:15 a.m. EST.

For example, at 12:40 a.m. on November 4, 2007, you define an Event with a schedule criteria of HOURLY. At 1:59:59 a.m. DST, the time falls back to 1:00 a.m. EST. The server triggers the Event at 1:00 a.m. EST, not one hour earlier at 1:00 a.m. DST.

Note: You can simulate your Applications and generate a forecast report for the day fall back occurs to find out which jobs run and when Events are scheduled on that day.

You can consult the following docops page for more information: Schedule Criteria - CA Workload Automation DE - 12.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 
    I hope this can help.
    Thanks, Roya

• 3.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 02, 2018 02:13 PM

Thanks Roya.

But my question is specific to DST settings in Automic for GMT.

'Change to Daylight Saving Time on' is updated as 5th Sunday of March and 'Revert to Normal Time on' is updated as 5th Sunday in October.

How the DST day is going to be calculated in Automic ?

As per the settings its 5th Sunday of March/October, but there is no 5th Sunday during March / October 2018.

Even if it is updated as 5th Sunday, whether Automic is going to get it as last Sunday during these months ?

Regards,

Abin

• 4.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 03, 2018 01:19 AM

Hi AbinVarghese628023 

This is posted in the CA Workload Automation section but as you mentioned Automic - Are you by chance on Automic Workload Automation or Automation Engine?  If so, I will moved this to the CA Automic Workload Automation section to better reach the product audience.

• 5.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 03, 2018 11:22 AM

Hello Luu,

Yes, this is related to Automic Workload Automation.

Please help to move this question to Automic group.

Regards,

Abin

• 6.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 02, 2018 02:14 PM

Hi, 

I am probably missing something. 

In GMT time there is no DST. GMT time always stays the same as UTC time. I would not expect it to change.

Don

• 7.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2018 01:29 PM

I think I found the answer to this question. I went back to the 11.2 documentation and the following is stated:

A setting of '5' always denotes the last possible defined weekday, even if the month is made up of only four weeks.

So looking at GMT for 2018 I can see the DST takes place on the following days:
    Sunday March 25th

Sunday October 28th

In both examples these dates are the 4th Sunday of the Month. So with a value of 5 it will consider those the last Sunday of the month.

• 8.  Re: DST flag for GMT time zone

Posted Jul 05, 2018 01:37 PM

Thank you.

Regards,

Abin