Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Using less number of UC4 Agents

Posted Jun 08, 2018 01:22 AM

We have a huge requirement where we have to run the batch scripts in around more than 2500 servers(around 800 applications). Instead of installing agents in all the servers, I'm thinking to run the batch scripts from a remote server of each application[using winrs or psexec] or if possible combining servers of multiple applications and running from one server(10-50 scripts from each agent).

Is this a viable option?, please let me know if there are any alternatives to this.

Note: Currently we are using Linux AE [on 2 servers] and we have license to install Windows AE as well. Is it possible to combine these two to a single AE [As it gives us a empty windows server to trigger multiple batch scripts and reduce the workload]?

• 2.  Re: Using less number of UC4 Agents
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2018 03:13 AM

Hi

Answer question 1:

You could copy a script file to the servers with no agent running on it but there you must search for a possibility to run it

Think this could be pretty tricky...

Aswer Question2: No

Explanation:

The computers on which the server processes are installed must be of the same platform in order to facilitate multi-server operation (e.g. 2 computers with HP/UX). A combination of computers with different UNIX derivatives or a mixture of UNIX and Windows cannot be used.

Automic 

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: Using less number of UC4 Agents

Posted Jun 08, 2018 03:21 AM

1. As I mentioned in my question, I am having an idea to use WINRS ( Windows Remote Shell) or PSEXEC to run the scripts remotely. I guess I have to dig deeper..

2. Thank you for the clarification.

• 4.  Re: Using less number of UC4 Agents

Posted Jun 15, 2018 01:17 AM

Reddy,

The remote execution will work, but this will have a variety of downsides.

Depending on EXACTLY how you have set up security, one approach is to FTP to connect to each of the non-Automic servers and have the script initiated via an advanced FTP command  (both your OS security and your FTP server and client software must be configured to allow this). 

NOTE:   If you are using one of the above approaches to initiate load on remote servers, you have to determine how you will pass back the  status/result of script BACK to Automic.   "Fire and forget" is rarely a viable option.

Many (most in my experience) organizations  do NOT allow FTP/RSH/ Rexec/PSexec to be invoked in this way: the security and audit trails provided by Automic and other similar tools are why organizations use these tools to manage load on thousands or tens of thousands of servers.

Another option, depending on your environment and applicaitons, could be to use an Automic Web Service Agent to initiate contact with and submit load on the remote servers

In re-reading your original request:   A single AE (Automation Engine) on Linux or Windows or Solaris or ... can control load on thousands of Agent servers running different OS's. 

One reason for using two servers is for high availability -- The AE software on the two servers can be set up as an active-active pair or active-passive.   The Agents on the actual AE servers should NOT be used for much actual executing job load--too much opportunity for interference between the Automic internal demands and the end-application demands

• 5.  Re: Using less number of UC4 Agents

Posted Jul 18, 2018 11:47 AM

We are a small shop with less than 10 agents.  We are using PowerShell "Invoke-Command -ComputerName" to run tasks on many of our windows servers.  And we are using PuTTY's "plink" to access many of our Linux servers. These run on a single Windows based AE.

As others have mentioned, with these methods you must craft your own response and error handling yourself.  I typically write solutions that are expected to write "completed successfully" messages to their reports and UC4 audits the report for this message when the task completes.  I sometimes lose sleep at night though when I worry about what types of failures could still fall through the cracks and never be detected.