Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Best practice for AWI (formerly ECC)

Posted Dec 14, 2017 04:11 PM
    We are planning our AWA environment.  Based on the communities experience, can/should the AWI be installed on the AWA engine server or should it be on a standalone server?

AWA Engine server will be Linux with remote DB hosted on AIX.

Thank you

• 2.  Best practice for AWI (formerly ECC)

Posted Dec 14, 2017 04:29 PM
    Hi Russel,

Both methods can work - it really depends on what is the best fit for your environment. I have seen quite a few that, especially in multi-node configurations, have an AE and an AWI on each server. 

If you are planning the AWA environment, I would definitely recommend re-reviewing our sizing documentation (as that tends to be a bigger hiccup in new setups):

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.1/DOCU/12.1/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#Installation_Common/install_AWA_ARA_sys_requirements_sizing.htm

• 3.  Best practice for AWI (formerly ECC)

Posted Dec 15, 2017 05:49 AM
    While technically both approaches will work, I thought I'd read somewhere that Automic recommended a separate server for the AWI, but I can't find anything to that effect in the current docs. Except for the flow chart here, not sure how much of a recommendation that in itself is.

At FOKUS 2017 (the German Automic Client Association Meet) and I believe also in this forum, there were indications that AWI is quite hungry for RAM especially when many AWI users and/or extensive job plans are required.

We, for one, decided to have a separate server for the AWI when we upgrade to 12.1 in due time. To save some bucks however, our test server will have engine and AWI on one server.

• 4.  Best practice for AWI (formerly ECC)

Posted Dec 15, 2017 09:05 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the input.