Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Importing a Login object with a blank password

Posted Feb 27, 2018 05:41 AM
    Hi,
    We have a number of login object where no password is required.

After importing a login object with a blank password in build 12.1.0 the JOBS did not run and created an error "User is unknown or an invalid password has been provided."

Only when clearing the password manually and re-running did the JOBS run correctly.
    We have run this successfully in version 12.0.0 but have an issue is there any setting that would create or change the password in some way on import.

Thank you.

• 2.  Importing a Login object with a blank password

Posted Feb 27, 2018 05:52 AM
    Hi.

The password is always reset to a static dummy token string on import, whether it was empty or not. I don't know of any way from top of my head to go arround this (apart from clearing it with SQL, while writing to the db is officially not recommended at all). I don't believe there is an Automic script function either.

What you can do (but this is admittedly rather crude) is set
    login_check=no
    in the agent. That would, however, tell any particular agent to totally disregard checking any login objects, for any jobs. In other words, it totally removes any security associated with login objects for that particular agent. For dev agents or somesuch on non-vital machines, this may be viable.

Best,
    Carsten

• 3.  Importing a Login object with a blank password

Posted Feb 27, 2018 05:58 AM
    Hi,

Thank you for the response I think setting this with the SQL will be best idea.

Thank you.

• 4.  Importing a Login object with a blank password

Posted Feb 27, 2018 06:09 AM
    We seem to have this check already set to no.
    It work in one build but not the other. The XML object holds no value as Pass="".
    Not sure why it would work in one build but not another. 
    We can create the login object and it works correctly but not when it has been  exported and then imported for the same object.

Thanks.

• 5.  Importing a Login object with a blank password
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 27, 2018 07:23 AM

We can create the login object and it works correctly but not when it has been  exported and then imported for the same object.

Thanks.
    You're welcome.

And IIRC, the password is always reset to the string "pass" on import. You could of course set that as the password of your otherwise password-free accounts  ;)

It should, however, work consistently across releases. If this were to differ between releases and or individual runs of the import tool, and you can replicate it, I'd file an incident with Automic about that.

Best,
    Carsten

edit: that can also double as an extra safety. You can probably (there is no added "salt" in the crypto process) find the hash for the string "pass" in the db, and if you go down the SQL route, add that as an additional "where" clause - to be absolutely safe your SQL will never touch any other passwords.

• 6.  Importing a Login object with a blank password

Posted Feb 27, 2018 07:35 AM
    Hi Thank you. 
    This would make sense. I try some of the suggestions out.

Regards
    Chris