Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Deactivate external dependency inside a running workflow

Posted Jul 29, 2016 07:44 AM
    Hi,

has anyone an idea how to deactivate an external dependency inside a running workflow dependend on a defined client. The dependency should be deactivated automatically after two hours in test environment, but should wait for normal completion in production environment. And the job definitions should be the same on test and production.

I have tried to use the timeout feature in the external dependency itself, but that will break the rule for identical jobs in test and prod.

Also the try to deactivate the dependency from an additonal started check-job with ae-script (modify-task won´t deactivate external dependencies).

And at least to modify the dependency-definition on runtime is not a preferred situation, as it will make job analysis after run more difficult.

Maybe you know a better way to get the dependency deactivated and the following job(s) run now..

Thanks

Toni

• 2.  Deactivate external dependency inside a running workflow

Posted Jul 29, 2016 07:51 AM
    I do have a solution I'm a bit proud of as it works like a charm :). Do you have SQL VARAs in use? Because that's a precondition to use the solution.

• 3.  Deactivate external dependency inside a running workflow

Posted Jul 29, 2016 07:53 AM

Just to summarize if it's worth for you to investigate further.. it's a SCRI you place directly after the START task. It has a promptset where you can define the environment-specific configuration (like CFG_VARA_&$CLIENT#). The SCRI then browses through the tasks within the workflow and checks whether something must be done. If so, it stopps the workflow, modifies the tasks (inactivate / inactivate external dependencies by setting timeout / set manual hold) and start the workflow again.

Also supports alias names.