Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Jobs ending with a ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status

Posted Jul 21, 2014 05:30 PM

Every night our Nightly Processing runs and when there are jobs failures, we are instucted by support that the jobs need to be marked Completed, as in ENDED_OK - Ended Normally even though the jobs fail and are NOT fixed. Do any of you feel that by unblocking the jobs that fail and are marked complete and leaving them in a ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status, it will hold a better trail for accountability purposes.

We now use Prodictive Analytics to track Job Abends and any information will help tremendously.

• 2.  Jobs ending with a ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status

Posted Jul 21, 2014 07:09 PM

It is my opinion that it is bad policy to hide the actual completion status.   I would hope that you would also add a comment onto any runs that were manually set to ENDED_OK.

However due to the flexibility of the scheduler system and because each datacenter has different business requirements, I can't really say what the "best practice" should be for your datacenter.

For instance in my datacenter, each of our jobs have information under the documentation tab that tells the operator weather or not this job has to be recovered immediately, weather or not an oncall programmer should be called immediately, and weather or not its successors can be allowed to run immediately.

I suspect that in your case they may be asking you to set it to ENDED_OK as an easy way to run all successors immediately.  But I don't know for sure because I don't know how your systems were built.

• 3.  Jobs ending with a ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status

Posted Jul 22, 2014 01:17 PM

I would agree that it makes better sense to me to have those jobs finish legitimately in an ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status, assuming they legitimately failed.  (We have encountered a few utilities we've had to automate where a successful completion returns a non-zero error code, which would normally be interpreted as a failure, but I don't think that's what you're talking about here.)

If the goal is to have the workflow continue to the next step(s) regardless of whether the tasks were successful or not, then I'd recommend changing the subsequent task dependencies from ENDED_OK / ANY_OK to just leaving them blank.  You may also want to toggle the auto-deactivate settings for your workflow, lest a bunch of ENDED_OK-yet-not-quite-successful workflows start piling up on your activities screen.

• 4.  Jobs ending with a ENDED_NOT_OK - Aborted status

Posted Jul 23, 2014 01:59 PM

How do you feel about "Unblock Task"?

The Processflow will show the job in a failed state but moved on to the next job.