DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

• 1.  cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Nov 27, 2019 03:27 PM
    Here is the cdm.cfx I am using for linux robots.  When I deploy this probe to a robot, all the values are blank.  Am I missing something?

I had to change the name to cdm.txt since it won't let me upload cdm.cfx.

Attachment(s)

txt
    cdm.txt   34 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2019 05:48 PM
    Hi Keith,

Here is what you normally need to do:

1. Drag and Drop the cdm probe from a source robot machine you want to edit some parameters for, to the local archive and rename it as desired, e.g., cdm_linux_master.
        Then click Ok.
    2. Double-click to open the new configuration package
    3. Rt-click the package and chose Save file as...and save the cdm.cfx to the filesystem, e.g., your Desktop.
    4. Using Notepad, open the cdm.cfx and make your desired changes, e.g, overwrite one or more sections as desired.
    5. Choose File->Save As and save the edited cdm.cfx to the desktop.
    6. REMOVE the original cdm.cfx from the cdm probe configuration package.
    7 Choose Add file and add your NEW cdm.cfx to the package. View the cdm.cfx file contents to make sure it looks as expected.
    8. Deploy it to the target machine and check the configuration changes to confirm.

You may also find these KB articles helpful:

Editing probe packages (probe configuration files and templates, e.g., .cfx and .cfg, and tips on modification)
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=34027 

How to create a configuration-only package that adds a new profile to deployed probes without editing existing profiles
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=34347

Best Regards,
    Steve

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 3.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:44 PM
    This is exactly what I did, adding overwrite directives to the disk, cpu and memory stanzas.  When I deploy to a robot that has no cdm probe, it still shows up blank.

• 4.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 12:08 AM
      |   view attached
    Ah didn't realize you were deploying to a robot that did not have the cdm probe already in place. Make sure there is a cdm probe package in the local archive and review this set of slides on creating a Super package (which will come in handy when you need to create one), but for now just focus on cdm and in Step 2 you'll see what has to be done when the cdm probe is not already deployed on the target Robot. You have to create a Dependency...

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Creating_a_SuperPackage.pdf   1.02 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:47 PM
    I will be deploying to both robots that have a current probe and those that don't, but I copied the current linux cdm.cfx from our 8.3.1 installation to 9.0.2 since we need to migrate our packages to there. I just did a simply copy and I get blanks.  I deleted the cdm probe from the 9.0.2 robot and pushed my new cdm package from the archive and still nothing.  

Also, from the pdf, if you have overwrite at the disk stanza why would you need it anywhere else? I see it's at <disk> and every stanza below it.

• 6.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 05, 2019 10:58 AM

The overwrite key word needs to be at every section label <> you include in the cfx file. That's just the way it works. If you don't wish to overwrite/change a particular section, then remove it from the cfx file.

James Christensen

Sr. Services Architect  |  Enterprise Studio

HCL Technologies Ltd.

Mobile: +1 (650) 766-5514  |  eMail: james.christensen@hcl.com

www.hcltech.com  | www.ca.com/services

13NMS18IEF_expert_uim_imp-201813NMSA0IPF_proven_pro_uim

image003.jpg@01D4FE82.AC7920D0

image006.jpg@01D4FE82.AC7920D0

Vacation Alert: Dec. 24 – Dec. 26

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 7.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 05, 2019 11:15 AM
    Just to be careful with the interpretation of this reply, there are four directives: "nothing", overwrite, edit, and clear

"nothing" adds the section and keys in the section if they don't already exist.
    overwrite adds the section and keys in the section if they don't already exist and changes the values of the ones that do exist.
    edit changes the values of the keys that exist in the section.
    clear removes all keys and sub section from the sections and replaces it with the contents of the <clear></clear> section.

overwrite is the one that you will use most often but the others have their place.

CDM has been talked about in this thread and so consider the issue if you have Windows servers with arbitrary drives C: - Z: that have been manually configured over the years and you want disable the Warning thresholds on all drives.

You could touch every system or you could have a cfx file that looks like (note the edit on the warning section):
    # It's undocumented but you can comment cfx files with #. 
    <disk> overwrite
       <alarm> overwrite
          <fixed> overwrite
             <C:\> overwrite
                <warning> edit
                   active = no
                </warning>
             </C:\>
          </fixed>
       </alarm>
    </disk>
    <disk> overwrite
       <alarm> overwrite
          <fixed> overwrite
             <D:\> overwrite
                <warning> edit
                   active = no
                </warning>
             </D:\>
          </fixed>
       </alarm>
    </disk>

stanzas for E: - Y:

<disk> overwrite
       <alarm> overwrite
          <fixed> overwrite
             <Z:\> overwrite
                <warning> edit
                   active = no
                </warning>
             </Z:\>
          </fixed>
       </alarm>
    </disk>

Since the directive is edit, it will change it if it's there and do nothing if it's not. Now you have no need to know what's there in order to make this type of wholesale change.

-Garin​​

• 8.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:48 PM
    Also, how would a superpackage help me with just one probe?

• 9.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 03:00 PM
    Ignore the other probes - just wanted you to be aware of the dependency option for the sake of cdm when its not already deployed.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 10.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:36 PM
    What dependency option for new deploys? Also the first link doesn't load. I get a 404 error.

• 11.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:51 PM
    I got the same 404 error when I clicked on the link in the community post. I then googled the following string:

UIM Editing probe packages

and clicked on the url in the results and it worked.

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 12.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 05, 2019 10:55 AM

A superpackage would not only deploy the desired configuration, but would also deploy the related probe if it was not already present on the server/robot.

James Christensen

Sr. Services Architect  |  Enterprise Studio

HCL Technologies Ltd.

Mobile: +1 (650) 766-5514  |  eMail: james.christensen@hcl.com

www.hcltech.com  | www.ca.com/services

13NMS18IEF_expert_uim_imp-201813NMSA0IPF_proven_pro_uim

image003.jpg@01D4FE82.AC7920D0

image006.jpg@01D4FE82.AC7920D0

Vacation Alert: Dec. 24 – Dec. 26

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 13.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 05, 2019 11:24 AM
    When I create a package with the intent of deploying a cfx file, I add a tab left most in the list (that's the order they're processed) that includes the probe the cfx is dependent on:

When a package is deployed, the dependencies tab is processed before the files tab for the section. If the dependency isn't satisfied, the package installer deploys that package before continuing with the current package. It's recursive and has no apparent limit on the number of layers you can have.

So this particular package will ensure that the package named cdm is installed and at least version 6.30. If not it will deploy the latest (because the test is ge) cdm package. Then it will continue with the files tab of the "dep" section. Then move on to the "ALL" section:

which has my cfx file in it.

-Garin

• 14.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Nov 28, 2019 03:22 AM
    Edited by Olaf Pape Nov 28, 2019 03:22 AM
    Hi Keith,

your attached cdm.cfx file is probably a copy of a cdm.cfg file and does not contain any directives like 'overwrite', 'delete' or 'clear'.
    Without this the cfx file will only be transfered in the cdm folder and copied to cdm.cfg.

If you are using IM than you can drag a cdm probe to the archive and you will get a new probe package (dont forget renaming) with an cdm.cfx file. All sections are marked as 'overwrite'. Than you can edit the cfx file to match your needs.

• 15.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Nov 29, 2019 12:07 PM
    Hi Keith, 
    I looked at the attached cdm.txt file and, as previously noted by Olaf, it does not contain any of the proper directives - primarily overwrite. Also, if it is uploaded to the archive package as cdm.txt, it will have no effect. the package will deploy a copy of it as cdm.txt, but the robot will not know what to do with it.It must be named cdm.cfx to and have the proper directives to work as you need it to. Please see Steve's comment for the proper method for creating this configuration package.

[Designation]
    [City]

• 16.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:46 PM
    This site will not allow me to upload a .cfx file so I had to change the extension.

• 17.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:45 PM
    If you look you will see the overwrite directives for the appropriate stanzas

• 18.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2019 06:53 PM
    You can do it all from Infrastructure Manager Keith.

Drag the configured probe from a robot back into your archive, rename it.  Rt-click the package you saved in the Archive, click "Edit", when it loads, rt-click the .cfg, click "Edit File" (I think), then it opens in an editor, or notepad if the CFG is too big..

Edit away and click ok, then ok again.  Deploy by drag and drop, as long as the target already had the probe, your new template will overwrite.  As long as the "overwrite" directives are present of course, usually are unless adding something bespoke.

Hope that helps.

CA - UIM administrator

• 19.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 03:02 PM
    I will test your config file/deployment as soon as I get a chance.

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 20.  RE: cdm.cfx leaves everything blank

Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:30 PM

Were this my cdm config, I'd make the <disk> section look like the following. In particular, put the "<fixed> clear" at the end after the rest of the settings. Also make sure that there's a space between the ">" and "clear" directive - you look to be missing that. The regex for the ignore_filesystem in your original file is also damaged - not sure if that's the forum or what you intended but make sure that it starts and ends with / and that any special characters are escaped correctly. Also that * is used correctly.

The "<fixed> clear" statement ( as it was explained to me) fires at the point that is encountered. So if you have no default in place, when this runs there's nothing to supply for the stanza. Also keep in mind that the cfx files are processed a line at a time so their order of contents is important - as opposed to almost all cfg files where order isn't generally relevant. 

<disk> overwrite
       interval = 5 min
       samples = 4
       use_systemspace = no
       ignore_filesystem = /\/run\/user\/.*|\/dev|\/(.*\/?snapshot\/.*)|\/\/.gvfs.*\/|\/opt\/vormetric\/DataSecurityExpert\/agent\/secfs\/.sec/
       ignore_device =
       filesystem_type_regex = /^(?!.*?(tmpfs|iso9660)).*/

<alarm>  overwrite
          active = yes
          <connections>  overwrite
             active = yes
             level = minor
             message = Network connection not as expected
          </connections>
       </alarm>

<fixed_default>  overwrite
          active = yes