DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 07, 2020 08:11 AM
    We need to build new dashboards in OC for a customer but they need to access to UMP until it's completed. Can both OC and UMP exist in a 20.3 env?

• 2.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 07, 2020 10:07 AM
    I think that the official answer would be that no, it can't but I suppose that you could run the UIM upgrade portion of the 20.30 install and then just not run the UMP/OC install second half. Or just stay on 20.10. 

I presume that you could also duplicate your UMP machine and leave one running 20.10 UMP and upgrade the other to OC.

But rather than messing with it, I think that I'd spend the time getting the reports done and delay the upgrade as long as possible into December.

Or, assuming by dashboards you are referring to a LifeRay page with List and PRD portlets on it, you can try duplicating those in the dashboard tool which is persisted into 20.30.

• 3.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 07, 2020 10:11 AM
    We have two UMP servers so we could do the split but I'd prefer not. Since we can't migrate dashboards from ump to oc, it means all will be done manually.  UGH

• 4.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 07, 2020 10:59 AM
    Just to be clear when you say "dashboard" you are not referring to the dashboards available in the dashboard portlet?

The dashboards that you build with this thing:
    will work in 20.30 without change.

Instead, if you are referring to these dashboards:

they are not going to exist in 20.30 but some of them are recreated in CABI though so far those have been an extreme disappointment in my experience.

• 5.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 08, 2020 01:52 AM
    Keith

We have done the upgrade to 20.3 (could not stay on 20.10 due to flash) but like you find we need to have some of the existing dashboards continue to work until the mess that is 20.3.x is resolved further.  So we are looking to install a UMP 20.1 against UIM 20.3 in our test environment as a mitigartion, then allow a limited and controled set of workstations access the "old" UMP which hopefully will still be able to display the new data (seems that the DB schema has not changed for the QoS data at least so we have a high probability of success if we can get the UMP installed.
    In your case if you are forced by other circumstances (like us) to make the upgrade then I would indeed do the UMP split and only upgrade 1 to OC, I think the success or not will be driven by what "checks" the installer does rather that the data schema in the DB, just not sure what tables are removed with the OC upgrade which could cause the second UMP to fail? Good luck :)

Regards, Andrew

------------------------------
    Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic

• 6.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 08, 2020 03:32 PM
    Hi Keith,

did you get UMP running in 20.3 environment?

I'd like to have both, UMP and OC/CABI, during migration phase to check reports and dashboard.

Thanks,

Olaf

• 7.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 08, 2020 08:21 PM
    Edited by Steve B Dec 09, 2020 05:32 AM
    Unfortunately it seems that it's not possible.

I attempted to do this in our LAB environment.

Here was the process I followed:
    • Upgraded UIM server from 9.0.2 -> 20.1
    • Disabled the robot on UMP01 server
    • Installed UMP 20.1 on UMP02 server
    • Confirmed it was working
    • Upgraded the UIM server from 20.1 -> 20.3
    • Disabled the robot on our UMP02 server (leaving it running UMP 20.1)
    • Enabled the robot on UMP01 server
    • Installed UMP 20.3 on UMP01 server
    OC worked as expected on the UMP01 (20.3) server, but when trying to access UMP on UMP02, we get:
    • The login screen
    • The initialisation bar
    • The loading bar
    • Then this error:
    It seems to be very close, but no cigar.

• 8.  RE: Can UMP run in a 20.3 env?

Posted Dec 09, 2020 11:04 AM
    Did you update the robot on the UMP2 to 9.32 and then try UMP.  I didn't test but I found the restapi works fine with UMP on 9.32 but will test the scenario of leaving one ump