DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

• 1.  The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 03, 2019 12:05 PM

The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior? the alarm does not show in IM but shows up in USM

According to this KB Document

Disable alarms and QoS from Maintenance mode Hosts

Scenario: As a Vmware administrator, I do not wish to see alarms or QoS data from host machines that are currently in maintenance mode.

Resolution: Starting from vmware v7.11, a new configuration property 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts' has been added in order to allow you to disable alarms and QoS from hosts that are in maintenance mode. The default value of this property is False.

To disable the alarms and QoS, follow these steps:

1. Do one of the following:
      • Navigate to Admin Console > Raw Configure > Setup, > config key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts' and change the value to True
        OR
      • Navigate to vmware probe in IM > right-click and select Configure > Setup, config key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts' and change the value to True.
    2. Restart the probe.
      You will no longer receive alarms and QoS from host machines that are in maintenance mode.

• 2.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 03, 2019 06:23 PM

Don't know about this specific case, but from a general perspective of when a probe is set a certain way and yet the probe fails to abide by the setting it is often caused by the config change not taking effect in spite of the fact it shows up as set in the GUI. Try deactivating, wait till both the port and pid are cleared, then active.

• 3.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 06, 2019 10:11 AM

Hi David,

I have tried that recommendation and have the same outcome. Alarm doesnt show on Infrastructure Manager but does show up on USM but it is set to invisible.

• 4.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 08, 2019 08:39 AM

That's really strange since alarms go to nas for processing and then are synced to the UIM db for display in UMP. So it is just strange that they are only in UMP since they have to be at the IM side first.

• 5.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 08, 2019 03:13 PM

Yes, and I have verified it. The alarm does show up on IM eventually after it has been on USM for a while. I went ahead and acknowledge the alarm on IM and it cleared from USM, now the alarm is back on USM but not on IM but it will show up eventually.

• 6.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 09, 2019 02:42 PM

Just to clarify, it seems this new probe option 

disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts

Refers to a ESX Host that was placed into maintenance mode in vmware and does not pertain to the

USM/Maintenance Schedules that the nas probe uses when processing alarms.

VMware HostRuntimeInfo inMaintenanceMode

Hopefully this helps clarify things.

Greg

• 7.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 10, 2019 09:57 AM

Thank you Gregory.

I do have another question, we place the host on maintenance mode on USM, and we receive an alarm from the vmware host, is this expected behavior?

• 8.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Posted May 10, 2019 03:19 PM

Not that familiar with how things work for vmware monitoring, but based on this doc

Maintenance mode not suppressing robot inactive al - CA Knowledge 

this is how it works:

Maintenance Mode via the USM is targeting the dev_ids that are associated with the cs_id of the device you put into maintenance,

• 9.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2019 02:31 AM

If you are talking about "Maintenance mode" in CA UIM term, "Informational" severity does not get suppressed by the feature.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/maintenance_mode-maintenance-mode

• 10.  Re: The key 'disable_qos_and_alarms_for_maintenance_mode_hosts" on the vmware probe is set to true but I continue to receive an alarm on USM on a vm host in maintenance mode, is this expected behavior?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2019 02:08 AM

Hi,

The feature is talking about "Maintenance mode", a feature in vmware, not talking about the same feature name in CA UIM.

So the feature will disable Alarms and QOS for ESXi server devices that are placed into "Maintenance Mode" in vmware side, (not CA UIM side)

Hope this helps.

Yu Ishitani