DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating UMP from single node windows to linux cluster

Posted May 02, 2018 09:09 AM

Hello everyone,

as we are currently a routinge checkup of our infrastructure, we came across the need to migrate an existing UMP from an old standalone Windows Server 2008R2 to a two node CentOS7 installation for loadbalancing and HA considerations.
    Our initial plan was to set up both new nodes alongside the old UMP and have them working as a three node configuration until the old UMP will be shut down.
    But as I understand the tec-docs I've found this is would not really work as (some quite old guide states) all nodes need to be the same OS and even if it works with different OSes the shutdown of the primary (old) node would not result in one of the new nodes taking over as a new primary.

Is there any best practice on how to migrate UMP in this or a similar scenario? Has anyone perhaps acchieved what we are trying to do here?

Best regards,
    Steffen

• 2.  Re: Migrating UMP from single node windows to linux cluster
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2018 10:36 AM

The concept of "Primary” UMP is only defined by the location of your shared folder (for the multi instance setup) as the docs state one UMP should serve as the master file system for the others.

I prefer to put this shared storage  (data folder or document library) on remote storage so that any of the UMP can go down and all will work.

This is in contrast to the Multi instance guide, but will only make your setup more resilient.

I have a linux UMP and two windows UMP in my environment and it all seems to work fine.

Not sure this is a "supported” configuration but usually  because it is not part of the product QA.

You will need to make the choice if you go down this route.

regards

• 3.  Re: Migrating UMP from single node windows to linux cluster

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2018 10:44 AM

So QA only tests with having the primary and UMP on the same platforms.

So officially not supported this usually comes into play because of windows auth for MS SQL server is not well support on linux boxes.

When using MYSQL or oracle back-end there is less of a problem with the database connection.

So if you are using MYSQL or oracle back-end then the switch should not be that big of a deal.

There really is no migration to be done. You would either install a new robot and run the UMP installer or follow the instructions for setting up a new ump as you would for the multi ump installation.

If you have done customization to the portal-ext.properties files

or other custom changes to the file system on the now primary UMP you would want to copy those files to the new servers.

Hope this helps