DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Database Monitoring of AWS RDS?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 06:51 AM

Hi All,

We are using aws probe to monitor RDS on AWS but currently only 2 parameters are being monitored out of the box for RDS which are below:

Database connections 

Replica Lag.

we want to monitor other parameters for example Database file usage (Data file and Log file) like we can monitor on premise database using sqlserver, mysql or oracle probe.

Is it possible to monitor such parameters on AWS RDS like we do on premise? Any leads are much appreciated.

Regards

Hitesh Sehgal

• 2.  Re: Database Monitoring of AWS RDS?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 09:59 AM

Hi Hitesh,

Originally the aws probe contained only the following metrics:

- QOS_AWS_HEALTH for the RDS service - only monitors the availability of the entire RDS service and not individual database instances

- QOS_AWS_RDS_TOTAL_INSTANCES - you need to know the total number of instances to expect for this to be useful. If you are adding/removing database instances regularly, it would make it difficult to use this metric.

Assuming the version you are using is the latest (5.40), according to the probe release notes, under What's New section:

• Added following 2 new metrics for monitoring performance of EC2 and RDS T2 instances:
    - CPUCreditUsage: Monitors percentage credit used
    - CPUCreditBalance: Monitors available credit balance

I hope it answers your question.

Thanks and regards.

iulian

• 3.  Re: Database Monitoring of AWS RDS?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 10:25 AM

Thanks Iulian, we are using 5.34 currently. we are looking for parameters the we generally get via sqlserver probe for on premise databases like shown in below screenshots and i am not sure how cpu_credit_usage/cpu_credit_balance will be useful to capture underlying issues like connections, log file full etc

• 4.  Re: Database Monitoring of AWS RDS?

Posted Oct 11, 2018 10:05 AM

Hi Hitesh,

The Amazon Web Services Monitoring (aws) probe remotely monitors the health and performance of available services over an AWS cloud. The probe allows you to monitor your AWS user account and retrieves all the service data from AWS CloudWatch. The probe generates Quality of Service (QoS) data and issues status alarms.

Since your requirements are to monitor a database hosted in Amazon RDS, I would suggest you use one of the probes designed to monitor a database, according to the database you have in Amazon RDS: sqlserver, mysql, oracle, etc.

As a sample, please find the supported versions of the sqlserver, as per the probe release notes

Supported Versions

The sqlserver probe supports the following SQL Server versions:

• SQL Server 2008
    • SQL Server 2008 R2
    • SQL Server 2012 (32 and 64 bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    • (From version 4.90) SQL Server 2014 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    • (From version 5.10) SQL Server 2016 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    • (From version 5.31) SQL Server 2017 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support

It is not documented that the database monitored should be on premise or in the cloud but I would encourage you to test and check if you see a difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards.

iulian

• 5.  Re: Database Monitoring of AWS RDS?

Posted Feb 22, 2019 04:10 AM

Thanks iulian, i appreciate your help on this.

I was able to remotely monitor the databases on RDS using the sqlserver probe. This post can be marked as answered. 

Thanks

Hitesh