DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How do you apply specific templates to AWS profiles?

Posted Oct 10, 2018 04:43 PM

Hello,

The AWS probe along with others (snmpcollector) share the same template mechanism. After reading the documentation it still doesn't answer a very simple need, how can I get template X to apply to Profile X only. Or How can I get template Y to apply to Profile X.

The probe uses 'precedence' to apply the templates but that doesn't answer this issue. For example we have development environments that have different SLA and alarm thresholds as production, so how can we get a "Development" template to only apply to the Development Profiles? How does setting a precedence affect where the template applies.

I feel there is something very basic I'm missing? Please help

A

• 2.  Re: How do you apply specific templates to AWS profiles?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 06:50 PM

Alberto -

All active templates will apply to all profiles in the probe.  The precedence is used if you have the same metric configured to be collected in both templates.  The filters are applied in precedence order. Lower precedence numbers have higher priority. For equal precedence numbers filters are applied in alphabetical order.

If you want to control with profile a template is applied to, then you have to do this by setting up filters in the template.  These filters can be defined at many levels in the template.  So, using the snmpcollector probe as an example.  If you have 2 devices, device_A and device_B, and you want to define a template that will only be applied to device_A, then in the template editor you would define a template filter at the device level so that the template will only match the device_A profile:

Screenshot of the snmpcollector template editor defining a filter at the device level

In the screenshot above, the device_A template shown will be applied only to any profile on the snmpcollector Configure Page under the Profiles node where the profile label is device_A (and there should only be 1).  Note that this is a case sensitive match so it will not match any other string (like device_a or Device_A).

It is generally not recommended creating a template for each profile, but to define generic templates that should be applied to all devices with high precedence numbers (because the lower precedence numbers have higher priority).  Then create one-off templates with higher priorities where you define filters at the component level if you need to change what is monitored on different profiles configured in the probe.

I hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: How do you apply specific templates to AWS profiles?

Posted Oct 11, 2018 02:01 PM

Thank you for the reply. I suppose the solution is not what I expected but will have to work through this. It seems we will manually have to modify each template to custom fit a device or account or set of systems (aws ec2 etc), it just seems there way more efficient ways to apply templates.

Thanks for the answer

A

• 4.  Re: How do you apply specific templates to AWS profiles?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2018 11:06 PM

Regex based criteria might help to map template and your devices. Here is KB for vmware probe and the same syntax might be useful for aws probe as well.

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/uim-vmware-probe-template-vm-name-based-or-example-using-regex/kb000112376