DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Logmon probe natively reading ASCII files on  AS400 Systems

Posted Jun 19, 2018 10:15 AM

We have a customer who requires the logmon probe to read ASCII files natively. Their current effort required to read ASCII files is ...

• I-Series team need to share the desired folder via NFS
    • Unix Team have to mount the files on the Unix side which creates an NFS share from the Unix based Hub to the target AS400 system
    • Network team then have to allow the connection via the firewalls
    • Finally, they can attempt access and have to troubleshoot all of the steps above should the mount not work.  Occasionally the AS400 systems needs IPL’ing due to NFS been a “flaky” system.

Apparently, the above steps can take days (if not weeks) depending on workloads.

We would like to understand the impact of this on your monitoring capabilities and time consumption. Is anyone else experiencing this, or something similar, and could you benefit from the probe being able to read ASCII files natively?

• 2.  Re: Logmon probe natively reading ASCII files

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2018 10:25 AM

Just to clarify. You would like the Logmon probe to read ASCII files natively on the AS400 correct?

Currently I know it only supports the EBCDIC files.

this would need to be an Enhancement request on the idea wall to have product management add this ability.

I think currently what you are doing is about the best option.

Maybe others will have a better solution.

• 3.  Re: Logmon probe natively reading ASCII files

Posted Jun 19, 2018 10:35 AM

Yes this is correct. I have been in contact with product management, and they have asked that I post this to find out the impact and therefore the priority this can be given. But thanks for the reply Gene.

• 4.  Re: Logmon probe natively reading ASCII files on  AS400 Systems

Posted Jun 19, 2018 11:05 AM

Hi all,

Yes, we have the same issue!

A recent request is to monitor for websphere expiry dates (to monitor the Webservices.log on i-series), which means creating 3-6 NFS shares per Application Server.  That's 36 NFS shares at least.