DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  CDM Collection errors

Posted Jan 04, 2018 06:09 AM

CDM has been working fine for a long time on a Windows server we have. Yesterday we had to do some Windows updates and the CDM probe seems to be working for most things but not properly for CPU. It appears to be collecting data in the probe (it shows an average line under CPU Usage %), there are no errors relating to CPU in the logs even when cranked up to full logging. The only error I see in the logs is that 'ntgetuptime' message says 'unable to get up time'.

I am also seeing the message 'InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)' from the probe in alarm console.When I use UMP to produce a performance report I can see that I am getting disk and memory QOS just not CPU.

I have reset the Windows performance counters (lodctr /r) and they are all working (viewing the performance counters on the server shows CPU information). I also tried upgrading CDM to the latest without it fixing the issue (6.20).

What does CDM use to collect the CPU data?

Windows 2008 R2

CDM 6.20

Any suggestions appreciated

Thank you

• 2.  Re: CDM Collection errors

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2018 06:30 AM

Hi 

Was the server rebooted after the counters were repaired ?

From cdm Technical brief doc

For Windows NT/etc. the "System Up Time" counter from the “System” performance object is used to get system uptime.

CPU information
    Windows NT > 4 (2000/XP/2003/Vista/etc.)
    Total cpu usage = "Processor", "% Processor Time", "_Total"
    User = "Processor", "% User Time", pchCpu (for “_Total” as well as individual CPU)
    System = "Processor", "% Privileged Time", pchCpu (for “_Total” as well as individual CPU)
    Idle = 100 – User – System
    For the individual cpus, total usage is calculated by summarizing User and System usage.

NT 4
    Total CPU usage = "System", "% Total Processor Time"
    User = "System", "% Total User Time"
    System = "System", "% Total Privileged Time"
    This os version did not support multiple processors in a generic way.

Note that cpu wait time is set to 0, as this is not used in Windows.

Processor queue length is fetched from the performance object "System", "Processor Queue Length" counter.

• 3.  Re: CDM Collection errors

Posted Jan 04, 2018 08:26 AM

Hello!

https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1024549.html 

Did you Reboot the Windows Server to take effect?

Also via regedit, take note of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfOS\Performance

In this key, there could be a Disable Performance Counters value that is set to 1. You may have to reset that value to 0, and then Deactivate and Activate the cdm probe

+

Microsoft Technical note:
    - Microsoft Counter Library rebuild, please follow next steps:
    [How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values]

https://support.microsoft.com/tr-tr/help/300956/how-to-manually-rebuild-performance-counter-library-values 

1. Deactivate the probe.
    2. Delete the probe from robot.
    3. Delete the physical folder from robot server.
    4. Redeplo the probe again.
    5. Test

• 4.  Re: CDM Collection errors

Posted Jan 04, 2018 09:15 AM

Hello unfortunately I have to raise a change for a reboot, so not sure yet but after that we will see.

Thank you