DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Posted Mar 28, 2018 12:53 PM

Hello,

I'm interested in having the URL_Response "profile group" name on the Alarms generated by this probe.

There is no default field (on the alarms) for this item, so I have been trying to find a way to insert it.

One of the options would be to use the UIM alarm enrichment functionality. Unfortunately I can't find a way to get the profile group (from the UIM database) by using the URL as a key.

Is there a way to do it?

Are there any other options?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2018 05:56 AM

Hi @Tome Pessegueiro 

Do you mean the name of the group the URL belongs to?

If yes, you can add the "$group" variable on the Message tab

• 3.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Posted Mar 29, 2018 06:22 AM

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your feed-back.

I will also need the URL as the source of the alarm.

So, I the next best option would be to add both parameters to the source,separated by a pipe character "|" ($url|$group).

But then I need to split the two, using a SQL statement.

Currently, SQL Server 2014 hasn't a builtin SPLIT function (T-SQL).

Do you know if UIM has created any stored procedure on the DB that would allow me to do it?

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 05:10 AM

In the url_response probe you >can modify or create custom messages and this allows inserting variables taken from the profile. The variables are added, the "edit message definition" window just typing $ and selecting the variable from the drop down list of variables.

An example alarm where I have added the variables "group" and "url" would be:

URL content for '$profile' does not contain the expected text '$string'  for Profile group $group $url

This without the need of Regex

With regards to splitting the variables, could you explain what else are you trying to achieve a part from adding variables to the alarms sent by the probe? 

• 5.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Posted Apr 06, 2018 06:48 AM

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your feed-back.

I should rephrase my initial question...

The main purpose to obtain the Group and URL from the url_response probe is to get them on reports or queries to the database, later on.

Although it's very useful to get the Group and URL on the alert message, we are unable to extract and treat that information to a report (having those values in separate columns, for every alarm).

So, we were inspired by your suggestion and are using another field (source override) to insert both Group and URL on each alarm (separated by a pipe "|" character).

In this way we are able to get these two values on a column, for each and every url_response alarm.

This would allow us to know how many alarms were created for each URL or Group of URLs, by querying the NAS_TRANSACTION_SUMMARY alarm table on UIM.

However, we have a problem. Currently we are unanle to separate the two values in two separate columns...

Example:

select source from [uim].[dbo].[NAS_TRANSACTION_SUMMARY] where supp_key='URLResp/mysite.com/httpError'

This returns both the URL and Group on the same column (source).

Unfortunately, SQL Server 2014 doesn't provide a built-in SPLIT function (T-SQL).

Do you know if UIM has created any stored procedure on the DB that would allow me to do it?

Do you know any other way of splitting the two values into two different fields/columns ?

Is it possible to create our own SQL functions on the UIM Database?

Thanks

• 6.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 11:24 AM

• 7.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:01 PM

That was very useful, thank you.

• 8.  Re: URL_Response: insert the Group on the alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 04:57 AM

Thank you for the additional details. I'm not aware of any function within any out of the box UIM reports to SPLIT values from the the DB as desired.