DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  CAUIM - Monitoring Cisco Meraki

Posted Mar 07, 2018 07:29 AM

Hello CA Guys,

I need to monitor Cisco Meraki.

Cisco Meraki it is a technology of Wireless, but with Wireless Controller on Cloud.

To got Cisco Meraki metrics using SNMP, you need to execute snmpgets to a public URL (snmp.meraki.com)

I see that Meraki uses the same URL for all his customers, just changing the community of SNMP and because of it the snmpget latency is very high. 

Does anyone have experience monitoring Cisco Meraki? Does high latency impact the collection of metrics or alarms from nimsoft?

Regards,

Jean Gomes

• 2.  Re: CAUIM - Monitoring Cisco Meraki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 09:58 AM

While there is not a Meraki-specific probe, the snmpcollector probe can pick up a few devices.

There are a couple listed in the DCD package release notes.

Hope that helps!

Phil

• 3.  Re: CAUIM - Monitoring Cisco Meraki

Posted Mar 07, 2018 11:31 AM

Hi Philip.

I see that snmpcollector probe could monitor Cisco Meraki, but my doubt is about the time of latency of Cisco Meraki.

Because Meraki is on Cloud and all Meraki's customers make their snmp gets on the same URL (link), then the latency time is high. 

Regards,

Jean

• 4.  Re: CAUIM - Monitoring Cisco Meraki
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 02:38 PM

You can also poll local devices based on what I see in the Meraki documentation ( SNMP Overview and Configuration - Cisco Meraki  ). 

Individual Meraki devices can also be polled locally. In this scenario the SNMP traffic would stay within the local network and each device would need to be polled from the network management system.  These settings can be found under Network-wide > General > SNMP:

You poll the individual devices via SNMP just like any other device. 

Standard MIBs

Meraki devices support the majority of OIDs located within the subset of the following MIBs: 

• SNMPv2-MIB .1.3.6.1.2.1.1
    • IF-MIB .1.3.6.1.2.1

These MIBs are not proprietary and therefore are available on most network monitoring systems.

The snmp.meraki.com address (not URL) is for polling the controller.   

SNMP traps are sent over the internet from the cloud as well.