DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Jul 18, 2017 06:42 AM

Hi Guys,

I am getting alert on CA SOI with the old host name which has been already removed from the monitoring in nimsoft.

When we drill down and checked on UMP, we found that Name and Alias are showing the corrent new host name however in DNS Name field it is still showing the old host name.

I am thinking to delete the entries from SQL db manually through sql queries.

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Imran

• 2.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2017 07:01 AM

Hello Imran, can you run nslookup <newhostname> and verify what the DNS returns ? Does it return the old hostname ?

Have you deleted the old host from discovery_server with cs_key and also cleared the niscache on the robot ?

Thanks and kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

CA Support

• 3.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Jul 18, 2017 07:42 AM

Hi Britta,

In UMP 8.51 we have one option to select the server and delete the measurements, acknowledge alarms and prevent rediscovery, however we don't have such option in UMP 8.42.

Can you please suggest me how do we can delete the old host from discovery_server with CV_Key?

Below are the set of commands which i am aware to run and remove from sql database.

How to delete decommissioned servers from CA Nimsoft SQL database

delete from cm_computer_system where name ='hostname';

delete from s_qos_data where robot ='hostname';

delete from nas_alarms where robot ='hostname';

Can you please suggest now?

Regards,

Imran

• 4.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Jul 18, 2017 07:04 PM

Hi Imran,

You can use "remove_master_devices_by_cskeys" callback in discovery server probe to remove the device , below is the procedure 

Remove Master Devices - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 5.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Jul 19, 2017 07:11 AM

Hi Phani,

Thanks for reply. I have a query. Can we remove all the master_devices and then run the discovery again? I mean what will be the impact on existing data in this case?

Regards,

Imran

• 6.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Jul 19, 2017 07:18 PM

remove_all_master_devices callback simply wipes out all the device entries from the UIM database with no questions asked . Though the discovery_server probe will automatically repopulate deleted entries , impact of that depends on how valuable is the information to you . 

For example you may not be able to reclaim the inventory of the device which no longer is part of the UIM environment in case you are retaining such data .

Given an option, I would always prefer to use  "remove_master_devices_by_cskeys" option as that is a much safer approach and you have more control of the information which you are trying to remove 

• 7.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Aug 02, 2017 07:32 AM

Hi Phani,

I tried this and seems working. However I still have two queries.

1) If we delete one device through it's cs_key, does it delete all kind of entries from database for that device\host?

2) Can we get the cs_key of all the devices through one command or do we need to work on individual servers?

Regards,

IK

• 8.  Re: Old hostname in DNS value in new alert for the same ip address

Posted Aug 02, 2017 07:55 PM

Hi Imaran,

remove_master_devices_by_cskeys deletes the entries form CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM and few other tables , but it may remove all the data . I believe the QoS related data associated with the device is still retained in the database

You can get all the cs_keys by querying CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM table and yes, you can delete multiple devices using cskeys. Just separate the cskeys by a "," in the probe utility input

Alternatively you can group the devices which you want to delete in UMP and export the group information to a csv and the exported csv does include the cskey info against the device . You can try this in case you don't want to run query's against CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM