DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Posted Jun 05, 2017 02:04 AM

Hello All,

Is there a recommended way to change the IP address of a HUB?

I have a secondary HUB for which the IP needs to be changed , just wondering if there is any recommended way to do it ?

Also how would all the robots reporting to the HUB know of the change in IP address?

• 2.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2017 06:17 PM

The following Technical Document addresses moving your Nimsoft Installation:

TEC000002587 : Moving the Nimsoft Installation

This document strongly advises against changing the IP address or name of the hub, but does not explicitly state that you cannot make these changes.  The document is also centered on moving the primary hub.  For the most part, these instructions are applicable for a secondary hub as well.

Depending on network subnets the robots should eventually discover the new hub – this may take several minutes. If robots fail to automatically reconnect you will need to either edit the robot.cfg file on each robot, specifying the new hub IP address, or use the Connect Robot function from the Tools menu in Infrastructure Manager. 

• 3.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Posted Jun 05, 2017 07:13 PM

Thank you KathyMaguire

So by design the robots should update their robot.cfg with the new HUB IP address once it detects the HUB? In our case there would not be any changes to the name of the HUB but we might need to update the IP .

We need to manually update the robot.cfg only if it doesn't get auto updated after the changes 

Please correct me if I am wrong 

• 4.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:28 AM

Robot knows its reporting HUB through robot.cfg

1. Shutdown Robot service

2. Edit robot.cfg

3. Start Robot service

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 5.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:56 AM

Yu_Ishitani

If I change the HUB IP address, the expected procedure to update the robots is to edit the robot.cfg on every robot and update the new HUB IP?

I was expecting that the HUB would send out the update of IP address to all of its robots ?

please clarify 

• 6.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 04:18 AM

Hello, Phani.

From Robot point of view, there is no functionality that HUB broadcasts its IP address to Robots.

Each Robot should know IP address of HUB IP through local robot.cfg.

However, Robot has built-In feature to search any alternative HUBs in case their reporting Robot is not responsible.

With this feature, there are chance that you see existing Robot devices automatically moved to new HUB.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 7.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 02:25 AM

Hello Phani,

On any hub you will need to manually update the robot.cfg and the hub.cfg to update any hub ipaddress, there is no automatic way to do this.
    On any robot, in the robot.cfg

1) make sure the robotip is blank
    2) add hub_dns_name = <hub_dns_name> on the line after hubip.
    3) make sure dns at the new location is updated with the correct ip address of the hub the robot will report to.
    4) shutdown the system for the move.

When the system gets powered on, if all the above is correct, then the robot should automatically connect to the hub.

If the robot connects to the wrong hub, go to IM, right click on the robot, and select move and select the correct hub.
    You can do this is bulk by clicking on the hubname in the left side of IM, all the robots show up in the right window. You can select them all and right click and select move.

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

CA Support

• 8.  Re: Best practice for changing HUB IP address?

Posted Jun 06, 2017 02:33 AM

Thanks ,

I was guessing that...was actually testing hub_dns_name parameter today and this seems to be a better choice for me . If this is set in robot.cfg even though the robot has the old IP address, it actually gets updated with the new IP as soon as the HUB IP changes.

So, the plan is to update all of our robots under this specific HUB with hub_dns_name parameter before the IP changes so that they pick up the new HUB ip address as soon as it changes