DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Posted Jan 10, 2017 03:43 PM

We developed a custom CAMM Pack in CA PM and we'd like to know if it is possible to monitor the activity of the CAMM collecting process. We want to be sure that CAMM is collecting data.

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2017 09:06 AM

Hello Aurelien,

I do apologize nobody provided any kind of input for this question since it was posted.

If you found your answers by now, let us know.

If not, I would first ask if you're observing problems with missing data, or is this just to learn more about monitoring the products data gathering functions?

Of course I would think we're not getting data if we don't see it in reports. Beyond that, are the files and the information they contain, gathered by the CAMM Engine from devices using XML, CSV, Telnet, SSH, and so on getting created?

If yes, are they being translated to the the CA Mediation Manager-standard XML documents that feed the Presenter?

Once more, sorry nobody responded to this in so long.

Thanks,

Michael

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2017 03:18 PM

Hi Aurelien,

In addition to Michael's response, you can look in the CAMM device pack Engine directories to see if the data files are being generated from the CAMM polling. These directories usually take the form of:

$CAMM_HOME/COMPONENTS/ENGINE_<device_name>/

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 04:16 PM

Thanks a lot Mohammed !

Actually, the CSV file polled by the CAMM module is empty because of an internal issue from the NMS sender (not the CAMM). We were wondering if we could alert, from CAPM, when no data has been received from the CAMM module. If CAPM is not able to trigger an alert based on CAMM activity (no metrics received) then we are going to implement the survey of the folders and XML files generated by the CAMM module, as you suggested, with an external monitoring tool.

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Posted Feb 22, 2017 06:59 PM

Hi Aurelien, I don't think there is an out-of-box metric you can use for that purpose, you can do as suggested above and implement a survey of the folders and XML files generated by the CAMM module with another tool such as CA SysEdge.

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to check that a CAMM Pack is collecting data ?

Posted Jun 08, 2017 02:30 PM

Finally, we found out a solution to our problem. We are using a script for monitoring CSV files but we also have deployed the CAMPack CAMM_IM_SelfMonitoring which contains all the mertrics we were looking for, like for example the Metrics polled per Seconds by Engine. When the NMS sender does not produce CSV files, the metrics polled by seconds drop down then it triggers an alert.