DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 20, 2017 07:54 AM

I was looking into USM report of one of the Linux server, It was showing as CPU utilization was high yesterday, however does not show which process consumed more CPU cycle during that interval . Can you  please help me to get that option. 

• 2.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 20, 2017 03:46 PM

Hi Ragesh,

You need to use the process probe to get CPU Util by each process that you want to monitor!

Probably you are using just the CDM probe, not process probe.

Here is the documentation about the process probe:

processes (Process Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentati… 

The (Process Monitoring) processes probe monitors the specified processes to detect any error situation. The probe also retrieves information about the process, for example, the CPU usage, memory usage, and so on. The probe verifies the following conditions:

• A process is expected to run, but has stopped.
    • A process is not expected to run, but is running.
    • A process does not run as expected.
    • The number of process instances is not as expected.
    • The CPU usage for a process is above threshold.
    • The handle counts for a process are above threshold (Windows only).
    • The memory usage for a process is above threshold.
    • The thread usage for a process is above threshold.

Regards,

Alex

• 3.  Re: Server performance Graph
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2017 08:12 PM

If you are on the latest version of cdm probe, enable these options and you will get what you are expecting to see. It would include the TopN process consuming the cpu when an alert is generated . You should even see that in the USM graph if you hover your mouse on the alarm dot.

Just a note , you would need to manually update/drag and drop the Message Definitions for CPU to CpuErrorProcess and CpuWarningProcess to see the top process included in alarm if the cdm probe is upgraded from an older version 

• 4.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 26, 2017 08:30 AM

Hi Phani,

Thank  you very much. Steps provided above was very clear and helpful. I have made the changes and started seeing the process name which caused the alarm. 

However when the alarm cleared, process information was also not there. means tool is not keep it for history. For example, if I had a alarm at mid-night and it got cleared after some time. when I come in the morning, I should be able to find out what are process consumed more CPU. . 

• 5.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 26, 2017 07:17 PM

Hi Ragesh,

You should be able to find the information if you query the historical alarms for that specific duration. 

You can find it from the Infrastructure Manager alarm view , right click History

• 6.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 27, 2017 05:51 AM

Hi Phani,

Thank you for your response. I am able to take history of alarms. However I still cannot find what caused that alarm. Means I need to get information about process which caused the CPU spike. 

• 7.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 27, 2017 05:56 AM

Please click on the alarm and see the complete alarm message and you will find the process listed there .

• 8.  Re: Server performance Graph

Posted Apr 27, 2017 06:44 AM

Thank you very much Phani. I can see it now.