DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted Apr 18, 2016 09:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Currently, the SNMPCOLLECTOR Probe Configuration UI allows to generate profiles from the discovery server based on SysNames (SNMP).

The thing is that whenever Data or Alarms are published for one of those profiles, the source will always be the SysName.

Sometimes, you would want to generate those alarms using another source: custom name (like the alias in USM) or even the IP address of the device (then we could make use of the NAS naming resolution to resolve that IP back to a name that is in DNS).

I could find that article here :http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec000005241.aspx  explaining that such a functionality would come, but I am not aware if this is the case already.

I also tried to raw edit the snmpcollector probe, and to set the flag publishByHostname to False, then rediscovered the devices in snmpcollector Probe Configuration window, but the alarms are still generated with the SysName, and not the IP address.

Does anyone have the same issue? Or is that the way it's supposed to be?

Have you found a workaround to this? Changing the sysname on all devices to match the dns name is not an option... This would be way too much work.

Thanks,

Benjamin

• 2.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2016 10:45 AM

Hi,

The KB article you mention is really about the new discovery_server process no on how snmpcollector functions for alarms.

Also the discovery_server changes affect the information in USM. It does not affect the information generated in alarms.

Currently there is no overwrite ability built into the snmpcollector.

I am not sure if the new version do out will have this feature either.

If you have not already done so I would suggest that you open an enhancement request for this on the idea wall so that product management can consider it for a future release.

The only way I can think around this would be some custom scripting in NAS. But that again would be very manually intensive to put in place and maintain.

Hope this helps

• 3.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted May 28, 2016 06:54 AM

after setting the flag in the raw config, stop/start the service, you need to re-import the device.

regards

• 4.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted May 31, 2016 04:08 PM

Yes indeed I could figure it out as well. But still, the possibility to freely chose a name for the profile and then source of alarm seems like a mandatory feature to me.

Regards,

Ben

• 5.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted Jul 28, 2016 06:32 AM

We are also looking for device profile name appears on the alarm messages, which is available on the interface_traffic and cisco_monitor probe and we are using it. expecting this feature on the future release.

Regards,

Senthil

• 6.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted Oct 14, 2016 11:33 AM

Agreed, this seems to be a mandatory feature, which is missing.

• 7.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 14, 2016 11:39 AM

The publish_by_hostname configuration key did not work in snmpcollector 3.2 but has been fixed in the newly released snmpcollector 3.22 which just became available.

set "publishByHostname=false" in the "setup" section of the snmpcollector.cfg

After a restart of the snmpcollector you will notice that new devices that are imported now have its IP address shown, not the hostname. qos and alarms then will have the IP address of the device as its source, not the hostname.

• 8.  Re: SNMPCOLLECTOR - publish alarms based on IP or Alias instead of SNMP sysname

Posted Oct 14, 2016 11:43 AM

Thanks for the update, Jason! We'll look into that.

Is there a timeline for the selection of a custom name (like the alias in USM) for alarms/qos? We had used profile names in the other probe configs as part of the alarm string/identification.