DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  dashboard up/down status

Posted Sep 30, 2016 09:34 AM

my customer is asking me a generic dashboard with just the up/down status of the server. How can I do this using only robot and cdm? I don't see any qos value that can be show.

any idea?

• 2.  Re: dashboard up/down status

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2016 10:07 AM

Hi there,

via CDM you only have Computer Uptime, which resets on reboot. Please see here:

cdm Metrics - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

This is an hourly value and would therefore probably not help in this case.

The question would also what would you interpret as up? That the machine responds to ICMP commands?  Or something more complex?

Have a look at the following community post, where something similar was discussed:

Basic server up/down monitoring? Best practices? 

This would probably lead you to here:

net_connect (Network Connectivity Monitoring) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentat… 

Regarding the dashboard, you could watch for the net_connect alarm  (see above) via an alarm filter and have the widget colour change accordingly when this fails.  If you are just getting started with dashboards, please check this out:

CA UIM Dashboards - YouTube 

Kind Regards,

Martin Fink

CA Tech Support

• 3.  Re: dashboard up/down status
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 30, 2016 04:59 PM

I just cobbled the following idea together and it seems to work out OK:

Create a text widget and make the text value ##### (or something else that activates  a bunch of pixels - * might work too)

Make the color of it Red

Make the data source "Probe"

Choose the robot in the dialog, choose "controller" as the probe, choose get_info as the command,click test. Choose "uptime" from the list.

select OK to save it.

Expand the color map section of the text widget and create an entry with the value 1 and a color of green.

So what seems to happen is that the widget will display the text and color of the default non-map entry. So in my case I would get a line of red hash marks. It then immediately runs the probe callback and gets the up time value. Since that value is > 1 it paints the string of hash marks green. That's the indication my robot is up. If I then stop the robot, the next callback will generate an error and so the returned value will no longer be > 1 and so it will revert back to the default red color.

If you want the value of the returned data item in the text box use $VAR in the place where you want it.

Enjoy

-Garin