DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Management Agent Lost Alarm Occurrence Count

Posted Jul 14, 2015 02:46 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know what condition would make the occurrence count for a MAL alarm be more than 1

We have some devices with multiple month old alarms with occurrence counts ranging from 1 to 27

One would expect these to either stay at 1 or keep incrementing past 27

Capture.PNG

thanks for your any help

• 2.  Re: Management Agent Lost Alarm Occurrence Count

Posted Jul 14, 2015 04:14 PM

Out of the box, the 0x10daa event asserts the MAL alarm and the 0x10d0c event clears the alarm. The only reason I can think of as to why the alarm occurenaces are increasing for this alarm is if the out of the box processing of the events and alarms for the MAL alarm have been changed. For example, as aa test, i removed the alarm clearing configuration for the 0x10d0c. Then caused Spectrum to lose management on a model, regain it, lost it again, regain it etc. The occurences incremented. Running the same test on the out of the box configuration did not as the alarm was cleared when management was regained.

Joe

• 3.  Re: Management Agent Lost Alarm Occurrence Count

Posted Jul 14, 2015 04:44 PM

Joe,

Thanks for the reply, for the most part our MAL alarms do not increment and clear properly.

For example looking at one of the models the events do not appear to correlate to the occurrence count, and despite a clear event being present the alarm persist

Where would the configuration for this behavior be controlled, I do not find anything relevant in the event config. console.

thanks

Capture.PNG

• 4.  Re: Management Agent Lost Alarm Occurrence Count

Posted Jul 14, 2015 05:14 PM

The out of the box configurations are located in the $SPECROOT/SS/CsVendor/Cabletron/EventDisp file.

If they were customized using the Event Configuraiton tool, then the customizations would be in the $SPECROOT/custom/Events/EventDisp file.

Joe

• 5.  Re: Management Agent Lost Alarm Occurrence Count

Posted Jul 23, 2015 09:50 AM

Joe,

I appreciate you taking the time to help, it has helped us understand the behavior of MAL events.

The majority of MAL alarms in our environment behave properly it is only in a few cases that we see this behavior.

We noticed that if a device loses snmp connectivity then an action is performed on the device such as a reboot or services restart and it remains with no snmp communication a new MAL alarm is generated thus incrementing the occurrence count.

We have not been able to solve the issue but at least, with your help, were able to narrow down to a possible cause.

thank you