DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Posted Apr 12, 2016 01:41 PM

I want to create a single layout with gauges, lines and SQL tables that would apply to different accounts. Today, each account has a "virtual" origin assigned to it (by using the qos_processor). I see there are 5 global parameters available, but I don't know how to use them. One of them is ${origins}.

I need to show bw utilization (one line widget for bits in and other for bits out), and two gauges (availiability and reachability). The thing is that I want the content to be filtered first by origin and then by matching the ifName somehow.

How are these parameters populated? Is it possible to fill them in with system variable values?

• 2.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2016 03:17 AM

Hello,

Parameters under the </> tab are the ones used by default on a dashboard. You can make use of them at anytime while working with your dashboard by using the ${parameter} call.

You can further customize the values of these parameter by adding a context selector.

HTH,

Nestor

• 3.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Posted Apr 13, 2016 01:21 PM

Yes, but how do I specify a regular expression or a string for filtering, let's say, interfaces by their ifName? I know that every customer (account) can only see their devices ("filtered" by origin), but I need to use only a certain interface (FastEthernet0/4 for instance) as a source for each widget, but with different metrics.

Could I create a parameter ${ifNameWAN} which value would be FastEthernet0/4 and use that as a filter?

• 4.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2016 04:10 AM

Hello,

the parameters you define can only be used in SQL queries that feed the gauges/line charts.

Now, add a context selector to your dashboard. This will enable you to define new parameters (different than the ones defined globally). You can define parameters in 3 different ways: from URL, from SQL data source or manually.

I have defined 2 parameters manually in the image below:

The context selector will enable you to choose between the parameters you have defined, and you can even filter among them:

Now you can use these parameters in any SQL query that populates your line charts or gauges like this:

select s.sampletime, s.samplevalue from s_Qos_data d 

join s_qos_snapshot s  

on d.table_id = s.table_id 

where d.source = '${servidor}'...

And the data will change dynamically according to what you have selected in the context selector.

In your case you could retrieve the interfaces using a SQL query and use them as parameter in the context selector.

Hope this helps,

Nestor

• 5.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Posted Apr 15, 2016 11:25 AM

Thanks Nestor! I've made linked-selectors also (before reading your answer). I make a query to get devices in one selector, and when I pick one device from that list, the Interfeace dropdown list is filled with the interfaces corresponding to that particular device, so you can create dynamic graphics:

List_equipos

select distinct source from s_Qos_Data

where probe = 'pollagent'

and origin like '${origins}'

order by source asc

List_interfaces

select distinct d.target from s_Qos_data d

where d.qos like '%INTERFACE%'

and d.source like '${device}'

dash.JPG

• 6.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2016 12:15 PM

Great. Glad it helped and thanks for the feedback.

Nestor

• 7.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Posted Jul 22, 2016 01:56 PM

Is your sql line chart from the picture dynamic to the context selector? Thanks

A

• 8.  Re: How to use parameters in the dashboard designer?

Posted Aug 17, 2016 12:49 PM

Yes, it is