DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 22, 2012 10:49 PM

I'm trying to make a copy of all alarms into an external database (SQL Express for now, eventually MySQL). I have reviewed all the documentation that I can find, but still can't figure out the proper names of all the variables that I can move to my new database.

I have most of the columns, but some still come up as "NULL". Where can I find a list of variable names that would work in an adogtw subscribe profile?

My datafile looks like this (the columns in red come out as NULL):

Table NameColumn NameOrdinalCol DefNulls OK?Data TypeMax chars
    NewAlarmsrowid1NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsevent_type2NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmsnimid3NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsnimts4NULLYESdatetimeNULL
    NewAlarmsarrival5NULLYESdatetimeNULL
    NewAlarmsprevlevel6NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmslevel7NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmssubsys8NULLYESnchar10
    NewAlarmsmessage9NULLYESnchar50
    NewAlarmssource10NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmshostname11NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmssid12NULLYESnchar10
    NewAlarmsdomain13NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmshub14NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsnas15NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsrobot16NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsorigin17NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsprid18NULLYESnchar10
    NewAlarmssupp_key19NULLYESnchar30
    NewAlarmssuppcount20NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmstz_offset21NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmsvisible22NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmsi18n_dsize23NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmsassigned_to24NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsassigned_by25NULLYESnchar20
    NewAlarmsassigned_at26NULLYESdatetimeNULL
    NewAlarmscount27NULLYESintNULL
    NewAlarmsuser_tag128NULLYESvarchar50
    NewAlarmsuser_tag229NULLYESvarchar50
    NewAlarmsi18n_data30NULLYESvarchar500
    NewAlarmssupptime31NULLYESdatetimeNULL
    NewAlarmsaots32NULLYESdatetimeNULL
    NewAlarmsi18n_token33NULLYESvarchar50

• 2.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 23, 2012 01:17 AM

What do you mean they "come out as NULL"? Do you mean the data contains NULL values in those columns? That is normal for many columns.

If you are using SQL (Express or otherwise) anyway, you should be able to just use the same column properties as the NIS database (assuming you have the NIS bridge enabled, which I believe is default when you install the UMP).

• 3.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 25, 2012 05:23 PM

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate the help, but I'm still missing something.

I've built a second table and modeled it on the NAS_ALARMS table in the NimsoftSLM database.  I am subscribing to all "alarm" messages and am getting data. Some of the columns have correct data compared to the NAS_ALARMS table for the row with the same nimid) but many columns contain "NULL" - time_origin, time_arrival, hostname, nas, etc.

I think I'm getting close, since there are some columns with correct data, but I'd like to get everything that I can. I believe that the $variables in the adogtw profile are based on column names, and I suspect that some of them don't match up.

I'm really looking for a list of the $variables available in adogtw profiles so I can do some more testing and comparison.

• 4.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 25, 2012 05:50 PM

I think I have a better understanding of your issue now. Some of the values in the database are determined by the NAS and do not come from the alarm messages on the bus. The only way to get them will be to request them from the NAS or query from the NAS_ALARMS table in the database.

If you build your table from alarm messages on the bus, there are lots of things that will be different from the entries in the NAS_ALARMS table. Some that come to mind include:

• Missing values for fields calculated by the NAS (which you have already experienced)
    • Alarm message suppression logic
    • Updates to alarms that do not come from messages (assignment, acknowledgement, etc.)

Depending on what you are trying to do, some of these differences may be very big deals. Maybe we need to take a step back. What are you trying to accomplish? What is the purpose of having this information in another table or database?

• 5.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 26, 2012 12:22 AM

Let me get a better definition of what we're trying to accomplish (in this case I'm just the messenger).

Thanks for your explanation. Is there anywhere that I can find out what's available on the bus?

• 6.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw

Posted Jun 26, 2012 12:30 AM

The best way to see what is in the messages is to go directly to the bus and check yourself. :smileyhappy: The DrNimBUS (or DrNimsoft) utility lets you capture specific messages from the bus and display them in a GUI. Different alarms may contain slightly different fields, but most will have a lot of the same information.

• 7.  Re: Making a copy of alarms in external database using adogtw
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 01:05 AM

I've tried that, and will review it again.  I will also investigate using the NiS-provided files instead of making an external copy. I believe that most of what we need is there.