DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to save a sql query result in a dashboard designer parameter?

Posted Apr 21, 2016 12:56 PM

I created a dashboard in which I show the interface utilization for a device by using a context selector with two dropdown lists: One for devices and the other one for interfaces (of the selected device). We have a large amount of customers that have only one device, so I prefer not to show them the Device selector, but the query I use to list the interfaces for the device has this condition:

where source like '${device}', which is the parameter name for the Device selector.

Is there a way to save a query result (in this case, it would be a select top 1, for instance) in a global/local parameter in the dashboard designer? Or is it a way to show a result in the selector by default?

• 2.  Re: How to save a sql query result in a dashboard designer parameter?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 06:53 AM

Hello,

why not concatenating device+interface in the same query so you use only one context selector? Customer could use the search capability if results are too many.

Cheers

Nestor

• 3.  Re: How to save a sql query result in a dashboard designer parameter?

Posted Apr 22, 2016 08:56 AM

I thought about that, and it seems to be the only option. I was just wondering if there was another possibility, but I think I will do that.

• 4.  Re: How to save a sql query result in a dashboard designer parameter?

Posted Apr 22, 2016 09:14 AM

I remember why I discarded that option. The thing is that in order to show the data in the line chart, I'm using a QoS data source (bits in and bits out), and not a SQL data source. So, if you choose a qos data source, you need to choose a source (device) and then a target. That's why I need the ${device} variable to use as source, and the ${interface} parameter is filled in with a sql query.

Otherwise, I should use a sql data source instead of using a qos data source.

• 5.  Re: How to save a sql query result in a dashboard designer parameter?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:47 PM

I think the context selector is limited in this regard. It seems to have such flexible capabilities but it's restricted to use only 1 variable, which I don't understand. Why would they allow you to "add" more context selector row's if you can only use one at a time? It does not seem reasonable, someone correct if I am wrong abd please let us know how to use two variables in conjunction with each other, or dependent/independent of each other. Thanks

p.s. Please upvote this

More flexible dashboards

A