DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  maintenance_mode probe stops working

Posted Apr 10, 2016 07:47 PM

We are having a recurring problem where the maintenance_mode probe stops working. Although the probe status shows as green, schedules which should be active appear as inactive in UMP and alerts are not suppressed. We fix it by restarting the maintenance_mode probe. We have scripted a daily restart of the probe but lately (over the last few weeks) it seems a daily restart is often not frequent enough. I have submitted log files to CA support who can't find any obvious errors. Unfortunately we are running an EOL version of Nimsoft (v7.5; maintenance_mode v1.00) so CA is unable to escalate to higher level support. We are in the process of planning an upgrade but due to internal delays this will likely take a few months. I was wondering if anyone might have experienced this problem and found a solution?

Ken.

• 2.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2016 04:21 PM

HI,

very sorry about your issue.

I checked some cases history and I could only find where clients upgraded to a later version to correct this issue.

Hope this helps

• 3.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2016 04:25 PM

Hi,

The maintenance_mode probe in 7.x has a "clock drift" problem where maintenance schedules will fire at the wrong times (or appear not to at all).   Additionally there are some issues caused by overlapping maintenance schedules (e.g. a machine may be in two schedules and only one will work.)

The maintenance_mode probe version 8.20 corrects these issues and it's actually safe to run that probe in a NMS 7.x environment, so if you're not able to upgrade the full installation to UIM 8.x you can still take advantage of this fix.

You can find a copy of the new probe version on the UIM Hotfix Index Page.

Note: the hotfix page lists NMS 7.6 but it will also work with 7.5.

• 4.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working

Posted May 24, 2016 12:49 AM

Thanks Jason, I have deployed maintenance_mode 8.20 to our NMS 7.5 system. Seems to be working okay so far. I will monitor it for a few days.

Ken.

• 5.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working

Posted Jun 09, 2016 08:04 AM

Hi Ken,

Did the probe upgrade solved the issue completely.

Hitesh

• 6.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working

Posted Jun 09, 2016 07:46 PM

The new probe version seems to have fixed our problem. We have had no complaints over the last 2 weeks of maintenance mode not working. Thanks for your help.

Ken.

• 7.  Re: maintenance_mode probe stops working

Posted Dec 24, 2017 12:32 PM

Hi Gene,

Does 8.4 has any issue ? I'm trying from couple of days, hosts are not set into maintenance, do you have any insight ?