DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How alarms are assigned to particular device?

Posted Jan 17, 2016 04:03 PM

Dear experts,

could you advice me how alarms are assigned to particular device? What attribute is vital?

For example, I use oracle probe - hostname and source attributes contain name and FQDN of the server where DB is running, robot attribute contains name of the server where probe is running. Unfortunately, alarm in UMP is assigned to the probing server instead of DB server.

Thanks in advance,

Marek L.

• 2.  Re: How alarms are assigned to particular device?

Posted Jan 18, 2016 01:51 AM

Hi,

It's the dev_id, that is not usually visible in the alarm itself. You can dig it from the database with the nimid, though.

It sounds like you've configured your monitoring properly for the alarm to display under the correct server - it might be that you're having some inventory/discovery issues.

I'd check the dev_id from NAS_ALARMS for the alarm, then do some digging in the CM_DEVICE table based on that ID. If it points to the dbserver, it really shoul display under that in USM as well.

-jon

• 3.  Re: How alarms are assigned to particular device?

Posted Jan 18, 2016 03:58 AM

Hi Jon,

thank you for quick answer.

I wasn't sure where dev_id is assigned to the alarm. I sniffed communication between the probing server and its HUB and dev_id is already listed in the packet. So I suppose dev_id is assigned to the alarm by probe itself, not by UIM central like HUB or NAS probe ... I also verified dev_id in NAS_ALARMS table as you recommended.

In fact, I monitor more database with oracle probe, alarms related to DBs configured in the past are assigned properly to DB servers, but alarms for recently configured DBs are assigned to the probing server. As far as I know we have upgraded oracle probe from 4.71 to 4.81 between old and new DBs configuration.

Is it somehow possible to change dev_id assigned to the alarm?

Records for new DBs exist in CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM and CM_DEVICE tables.

Kind regards,

Marek L.

• 4.  Re: How alarms are assigned to particular device?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 18, 2016 04:24 AM

That's right, probes assign the dev_id to the alarms.

Difficult to say what may be going wrong in your environment, but I wouldn't suspect it's the oracle probe version since the dev ids are in place. I'm also seeing correct behavior with oracle 4.91.

If the dev_id in the alarm corresponds to the one in CM_DEVICE and there are no conflicts such as duplicate dev_ids, it should display under the correct device. The query to the DB is like this:

SELECT 
      nimid,
      visible,
      nimts,
      supptime,
      suppcount,
      level,
      message,
      nas_alarms.dev_id,
      met_id,
      subsys,
      sid,