DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Do you need to cycle UMP after deleting QOS metrics for refresh?

Posted Jan 21, 2015 09:20 PM

Quick question, I was in the UMP - SLM, then Order By probe and I seleted my net_traffic probe, expanded it and then deleted the Robot under it to clean thigns up after I tweaked the probe to what I wanted to collect. 

After this delete I stopped the probe, then restarted the probe but now in the SLM tool, I don't see an entry for that box under the net_traffic probe. The probe is collecting data every 30 seconds and I did many refreshes but in SLM I don't see the QoS metrics for that probe any longer?

Do I need to cycle the UMP server for it to see these QoS metrics once again? 

• 2.  Re: Do you need to cycle UMP after deleting QOS metrics for refresh?

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:48 PM

So this turned out to be a big problem.

Somehow after I preformed the delete on the robot under the probe in the SLM tool in the QoS section, it screwed up the probes ability to store QoS metrics. Opened a support case and to fix it I had to go the to the box running the probe, stop NimsoftRobot and then delete the niscache folder. Started the Nimsoft Robot service and then afterward it started working correctly.

Really bad situation. 

Action that caused this issue:

UMP - SLM - Quality of Service Section - View by Probe, double clicked on the net_traffic probe and then selected the robot under there and did a delete on that robot. 

Afterwards this prevented the probe from storing QoS metrics for this probe on this machine. 

• 3.  Re: Do you need to cycle UMP after deleting QOS metrics for refresh?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2015 08:13 PM

You need to restart data_engine after delete. It caches the s_qos_data table. So it keeps inserting to the RN table, but you won't see the entry in s_qos_data before data_engine restart. At least so when you delete from SQL - not sure if SLM is smart enough to force data_engine to do a refresh.

-jon

• 4.  Re: Do you need to cycle UMP after deleting QOS metrics for refresh?

Posted Jan 22, 2015 11:18 PM

Thanks Jon. I will try that as well next time. 

Supports response was:

Deleting the data from SLM caused the robot's data to become disassociates from the database entries. This folder contains information about the robot's id and it's probes. When it gets deleted, the robot needs to rebuild it and sends messages with it's new id.
    Honestly, it's not uncommon for us to recommend deleting the contents of niscache. This can resolve a number of ills.