DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone know how to set the UIM CDM probe to alarm if CPU goes over 85% any 10 of the last 30 minutes?

Posted May 08, 2015 09:12 AM

Anyone know how to set the UIM CDM probe to alarm if CPU goes over 85% any 10 of the last 30 minutes? I thought there was a Time over Threshold, but that turns out not working for a setting like this. I thought that's what it was for.  We've setup the Time over Threshold in CDM 5.4 and proved it ignores the CPU going over 85% completely. Anyone had any luck testing this to work?

• 2.  Re: Anyone know how to set the UIM CDM probe to alarm if CPU goes over 85% any 10 of the last 30 minutes?
    Best Answer

Posted May 14, 2015 10:13 AM

Good news. Sounds like this is not possible at the current release level but is in the pipeline to be supported in a future version of not only the CDM probe, but several others.  See my idea on the subject and the response from CA.

• 3.  Re: Anyone know how to set the UIM CDM probe to alarm if CPU goes over 85% any 10 of the last 30 minutes?

Posted Jun 05, 2015 03:49 PM

I think what you mean is that CDM does not let you set the static thresholds.  Specifically, you can't sett the threshold to 85%.

We are working toward support for static Time over Threshold (or "ToT" for short) rules in all probes.  Time over Threshold is integral to the Baseline and Threshold engine in UIM (or "BLT" for short).  The BLT supports static and dynamic ToT rules, but many probes had defined their own static-threshold functionality before the BLT was introduced.

Therefore, the probes that have their own static thresholds will need to be modified to relinquish that functionality over to the BLT, like they already do with respect to dynamic thresholds.  The list of probes you provided are those probes that have already been converted.  Thus, they are the probes that also support static thresholds.

CDM is on the planned list of probes to convert to using BLT for this new advanced threshold setting.  In the online UIM archive of probes you'll notice the probe called threshold_migrator - this probe currently supports an initial list of probes that it can convert from traditional CFG file settings to using central services like BLT.  Check the release notes for upcoming releases of this probe for info about new probe support, including (soon) CDM