DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

• 1.  How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 04, 2014 05:47 PM
      |   view attached

I would like to get an EMAIL if a message is assigned to me.

If I configure Auto Operater like shown in the attachment I got an EMAIL every message arival....

But I would like to have an EMAIL only when it is assigned to me.

Does anybody know how I have to configure the Auto Operator? 

• 2.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 04, 2014 05:58 PM
      |   view attached

I do not think you can detect the assignment activity in an AO profile. The AO does not have an action mode that would match assignment uniquely.

There is an option built into the emailgtw that should do what you need...for all users. See the attached screenshot.

• 3.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 05, 2014 08:39 AM

Thanks for your answer.

How can I define a specified user? I only would like to get an EMail if it was assigned to me.

• 4.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 05, 2014 05:04 PM

I do not think there is a built-in way to do that.

One workaround might be to configure an invalid email address in the logins that should not get email on assignment. It would probably be better if it were an email address that causes the messages to be discarded rather than bounced back. Overall not a very clean solution, but it might get you what you need with little effort and few negative side effects.

Otherwise I think you are going to have to script it. Unfortunately scripting is going to suffer from the same problem as your AO profile--the assignment cannot be differentiated from other updates to the alarm. I can picture two approaches:

• The assignment should result in the posting of a message with subject "alarm_assign" to the message bus. You can create a standalone custom probe that subscribes to those messages and then posts a message with subject "EMAIL".
    • You could script it completely within the NAS, but I think you would have to dedicate one of the custom fields to tracking whether the email was sent. The script would first check if the field is blank. If not, it does not need to email you. If it is, it would send the email and then update the alarm.

The advantage of the first option is that you are using information that is already available on the message bus, which means you do not need to use any tricks to track state. The disadvantage is that the script has to be a stanalone probe, which is sort of overkill but is not very hard to do.

You will have to decide if it is important enough to make a script worth the effort. I think we can help you piece it together.

(If someone else knows of a very simple way to achieve the desired result, I will feel a bit silly for having proposed these. :smileyhappy:)

• 5.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 08, 2014 08:42 AM

I use the assignment function with custom integrations the way Keith described, I pick up the alarm_assign messages (among others) and act on those. Currently I have probe made with Perl that does it, I could probably post snippets from that. Might have an older version as .net too.

To me, Keith's first suggestion (custom probe) would seem the best solution here.

-jon

• 6.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:15 PM

Depends on how your users are setup if they are in IM not AD then you can add a email address to each user and when you assign to that user they will get a email.

• 7.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 09, 2014 10:28 AM

Yes I have users in IM and all of them have diferent email adresses.

So the only way to do this is to create a own probe, right?

• 8.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 09, 2014 12:27 PM

Not the only, but it seems the most reasonable in your case.

If logmon queue reader could check fields other than "message", that would've worked for you too. Maybe post an idea? :smileytongue:

-jon

• 9.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 10, 2014 12:54 PM

Could you try to change the Action mode in your EMAIL AO profle from "On message arrival" to "On overdue age 1m". At least in my lab then it sends email only after 1min after first assignment, not after that anymore. If one minute is too long, use 15s or something else.

/teppo

• 10.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Sep 10, 2014 09:28 PM

Wouldn't that send the email 1 minute after the alarm was created rather than 1 minute after it was assigned?

• 11.  Re: How to configure NAS probe to send an EMAIL if a message is assigned

Posted Oct 31, 2014 08:51 PM

Hello. And if they're AD users, how could we setup to get alerts on assignment? Our email_gtw probe it's already with that option enabled.

Regards,

Germano.