DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to add ci_type and metric_type to DB-tables?

Posted Oct 07, 2014 02:08 PM

Hi,

I have to update some custom probes to the TNT2 functionality to see their data in the USM.

I know all the things to use the SDKs (like Perls ciOpenLocalDevice etc.). This is quite easy and it works as expected.

Now I am facing the problem to create own Configuration Items and Metric Types in the Private Section 9.x. As described in the post Custom Probes and USM you have to add some entries in the tables CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_DEFINITION and CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_METRIC_DEFINITION. 

What I like to know is how to do this in a Nimsoft (UIM) conform manner and if there is a way to do this during installation of probe package?

For now I put this entries manually to the DB using a Database-Browser:

INSERT INTO CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_DEFINITION VALUES ('9.2','9','Test');

INSERT INTO CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_DEFINITION VALUES ('9.2.0','9.2','Cluster');
    and

INSERT INTO CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_METRIC_DEFINITION VALUES('9.2.0:1','Cluster Health','User Defined','9.2.0',null);
    INSERT INTO CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_METRIC_DEFINITION VALUES('9.2.0:2','Node Count','User Defined','9.2.0',null);

And for translating I have to add entries to Nimsoft.properties Nimsoft_de.properties etc. 

Also here - I like to know the relationships? Must I add all entries to all languages files or can I do it only to 2 files? Is there a way to do this during installation of probe package?

Thanx

Olaf

• 2.  Re: How to add ci_type and metric_type to DB-tables?

Posted Oct 07, 2014 04:03 PM

Hi,

I don't think there's a way to do this automatically, at least I do it myself manually too.

With the marketplace coming up, I guess they must be bringing some solution to this, though..

-jon

• 3.  Re: How to add ci_type and metric_type to DB-tables?

Posted Oct 08, 2014 12:05 AM

Hi Jon,

that's what I had feared. 

I agree, with marketplace they must bring a mechanism to put in such entries.

Olaf

• 4.  Re: How to add ci_type and metric_type to DB-tables?

Posted Nov 19, 2014 10:47 PM

Today I found in WebArchive Beta section the package "ci_defn_pack" (Description:Ci Defination Pack). That sounds interesting.

I made a short investigation and saw that this package transfer file "ci.xml" to the nis_server folder and override the existing "ci.xml". After a restart of the nis_server probe the DB entries which are xml coded in the ci.xml were written into the NIS-DB.

A short look into the probe code shows a class "CiImporter.class" which is responsible for importing the records of "ci.xml" to the NIS-DB. 

In the ci.xml structure are XML sections for

unit ==> CM_METRIC_UNIT
    met ==> CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_METRIC_DEFINITION
    ci ==> CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_DEFINITION
    unit_item ==> CM_METRIC_UNIT_ITEM

(==> means: records from this section are imported to this named table ).

Thus, a importer is present which can write the whole table content of this 4 table by the nis_server. 

Maybe this is the ultimate way to extend the CI and Metric tables automatically.

A new class e.g. "CIUpdaterer" is programmed quickly - or? This class imports only "ci_update_<name>.xml", so that more than one CI/Metric extensions are handled.

OK, this is only a day dream, but sometimes day dreams changes anything :smileyhappy: