DX Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latency?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latency?

Posted 10-28-2010 08:28 PM

Hello,

I am fairly new to Nimsoft software and was wondering how could I do the following?

My task is to find to find the total hops, latency per hop, Total Latency for the whole trip. This will be run from a windows pc to gather data to determine performance from ISP providers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jarrod

• 2.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc
    Best Answer

Posted 10-28-2010 09:16 PM

Your latency will be easy as that is just the net_connect probe.  To get your hops though you are going to have to do some custom stuff to run the traceroute or tracert command and get the total hops, not sure on your coding experience but you can use the language of your choice and then just build it into a probe or a command run via nexec. 

Latency per hop may be a little more tricky unless you just poll every ip along the way and get the response time back.

• 3.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 10-28-2010 09:28 PM

• 4.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 10-28-2010 09:37 PM

Where do I put the LUA code for it to run? Is there a probe i can paste the code into?

• 5.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 10-28-2010 11:06 PM

Jarrod,

You can run Lua code in the NAS, but that really limits where in your network the traceroute starts. You may want to create a Lua probe that would be executed by the NSA (Nimsoft Script Agent). You can use the CodeWizard to get a framework for a Lua probe as a starting point.

-Keith

• 6.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 11-03-2010 10:58 PM

I have created a VB.net console application Probe.

The data i have is for the TraceRoute for each Hop I have

-- IP Address of the Hop

-- The HOP number in sequence

-- The destination IP

-- The Latency for the HOP.

From the API how should i send those values as QOS so they are in the Nimsoft DB? From what I have seen QOS only lets you send one value. I am stuck at this point, any help would be appreciated. Any examples of VB.net Probe Code that someone uses to send QOS data would be great. I dont need to alarm currently  just collect the above data and reference back to the data.

• 7.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 11-03-2010 11:51 PM

A few months ago, the .NET SDK was released in the archive. Have you had a look at it? (Package name is SDK_DotNet.) I am not sure if it includes its own documentation or if the CodeWizard has been updated to produce sample code.

You can always use the nimqos.exe command in the bin directory to send QoS from any process/script regardless of the language. I do not think you should have to do that in this case, but it is an option if you have any trouble with the SDK. Just make sure you create a QoS definition before sending any QoS data. (There is a command for that too.)

QoS tracks only one measurement for each point in time. You will have to decide what makes the most sense for your probe as far as source and target. (You probably need to define a new QoS type specific to traceroute.) I would probably make the host running the traceroute the QoS source. For the target, you can choose between hop number, hop IP, destination IP, and a combination of those values. Just be careful because IPs can move around in the list if there is a change in the route.

-Keith

• 8.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 11-04-2010 12:21 AM
    I have the .net SDK docs but no examples for this.
    Do you have any examples of how to use the nimqos.exe and send all the data i need as a combination for the target?

• 9.  Re: How to Collect QOS Data ever X minutes for Hops, Latency per hop and total Hops and Total Latenc

Posted 11-04-2010 12:53 AM

Here is the usage message from the nimqos.exe command:

usage: nimqos [required] [optional] [ci extensions]
    where required are:
       -q <QoS>
       -s <source>
       -t <target>
       -v <value>   ignored when you use -b or -e
       -i <inteval>
    where optional are:
       -n           send NULL instead of value
       -b <tag>     begin a new timer; ignore all other options