DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Huh?

• 1.  Huh?

Posted Jan 31, 2014 05:03 PM

Have you ever found something in Nimsoft and thought - Huh?

Whether it's inconsistencies with the probe messages (varying from platform to platform), weird probe pre-requisites, strange messages in the log files or anything else odd post them here. The kind of things to post about are so trivial no one in their right mind would waste time raising a call for them (even speeling mistakes).

cisco_ucs probe 2.14

this has a requirement of the cisco_ucs_migration 2.0 (which is used to convert 1.x config to 2.x). If you've never used used cisco_ucs 1.x there's nothing to migrate!!! In other words, if you've never used it before you've still got to deploy the migration tool first.

cdm 4.77

Disk space alarms levels are defined as Major/Minor in windows, but Linux (and probably others) alarms levels are Major/Warning.

ntevl (various versions)

On startup, the messages "raj beofore calling evlControlVista fun." and "raj beofore inside evlControlVista fun." can be seen in the log.

(various probes)

There a callback in a lot of probes that allows the loglevel to be changed "on-the-fly" without a restart the probe (very useful).

Unfortunately the callback name is not standard. I've seen the variations "loglevel", "log_level" and "set_loglevel" so far.

controller (5.90, 7.10)

In the Secondary HUB section, uncheck the "Search the subnet for a temporary..." changes the top radio button text to "Wait for primary hub...". Apply this, close the GUI and re-open it. Notice even though the "Search the subnet for a temporary..." is unchecked, the top radio button text is displaying the default "Automatic detect" (which is wrong).

hub 7.11

in the web archive (on here), click on the "Help" icon, the link takes you to the 7.0 documentation (this one will be fixed VERY quickly me thinks :smileytongue:).

Anyone got anything to add?

S.

• 2.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:17 AM

Adding default messages/alerts in the new versions of the probe that cannot be disabled and/or configured. Logmon now sends a critical alert when a logfile cannot be found. Can't turn it off, can't change the severity. VMware and other probes have had the same thing occur.

Callbacks are not documentated at all 

Not all probes allow the end users to set basic things like log level or log size

Hitting X to "save" 

logging into the support site - you can't hit enter after you enter your password, you have to know to click the login button

• 3.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 05:06 PM

"Adding default messages/alerts in the new versions of the probe that cannot be disabled and/or configured. Logmon now sends a critical alert when a logfile cannot be found. Can't turn it off, can't change the severity. VMware and other probes have had the same thing occur."

agreed

• 4.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 01:12 AM

This thread makes me chuckle in agreement :smileyhappy:

Here are some more...

• Window resizing in Infrastructure Manager. Some probe config windows can be resized (net_connect), others can't (hub). Distribute window can't be resized, etc.
    • Agent based system, yet so many probes are "hardcoded" to mainly work remotely (eg. apache with profile name being the alarm source, thus localhost can't be use as a generic profile)

• 5.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 08:42 AM

Yeah, good stuff. Weird that I can't think of many :smileyhappy:

Often folders get "stuck" in SLM and you can't drag items from one folder to another.

-jon

• 6.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 06:39 PM
    Sounds like they will be addressing this in logmon soon:

Yes the same concern will be taken care ,there will be an option incorporated to enable /disable this functionality .This is going to be release by the end of this week.

• 7.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 07:10 PM

That's good. I think it is a great feature but needs to be configurable. There have been times when I wanted the probe to let us know if the expected log was missing, and there have been times that I took advantage of the fact that it would ignore missing logs.

• 8.  Re: Huh?

Posted Feb 28, 2014 04:04 PM