DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 15, 2014 12:35 AM

Is it possible to trigger an alert when a new robot registers with the hub? From an MSP perspective we hit situations when clients install robots onto new machines w/o telling us and then we are never notified until we run an audit check or inventory and discover the discrepancy. Would like to know if its possible to setup something to trigger an alert whenever new robots are registered with the hub.

Thanks, Dan

• 2.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 17, 2014 07:55 PM

I haven't seen anything like this built-in. It has also been discussed a bit on this forum before, and I do not think anyone has found a way to do it without scripting.

There are a couple of ways you could script this sort of thing. All of the robots have a created date on the hub, so you could check those to see what is new. Otherwise you would probably have to keep a list of all robots and rescan periodically. You could do this hub by hub, but that could be problematic if robots failover to a secondary hub.

• 3.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 17, 2014 08:25 PM

one of the CA consultants was asking for messages to take to the "robot dev guys". One of the things I suggested was audit message for new robots, even if that might be more for the hub.. who knows, hopefully it'll get implemented :smileyhappy:

-jon

• 4.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 18, 2014 05:28 PM

I would really hope they add this feature. Some additional scenarios to alert or trigger an alert would be really helpful.

I would like to see:

• New Robot Registrations - Really needed from an MSP perspective.
    • Hub DOWN alerts :  When no response from the HUB is detected all we get is the Queue not responding. But this needs to be more specific to "No Response from HUB - ABC. Been X - Minutes since last reply..." WE had to do our own method to generate an alert when there is no response from a hub but it's not pretty. 

• 5.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 18, 2014 06:29 PM

Have either of you (or anyone else) checked if any audit messages are published to the message bus when a new robot registers with a hub? I have no idea how likely that is, but it seems like a more natural place to find out about something new rather than an alarm.

• 6.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Nov 18, 2014 07:49 PM
    I have and its not, thats why i requested it :smileywink:
    -jon

• 7.  Re: Alarm on new robot registration?

Posted Dec 04, 2014 11:36 AM

We have a custom package that runs nimalarm as a postinstall command, and we request this package with request.cfg on our robot installs. That way we generate an alarm with a specific subsystem id on new robot installs that we catch with AO and do some magic with (like trigger configuration of net_connect).