DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 04, 2013 12:12 AM

I have this very specific problem.

We want to use subsystem ID's to customize alarms and notifications (for example email), and it is surpising to see that the probes don't follow any conventions when it comes to configuration. For example, the emailgtw alarm defines it's subsystem id using "alarm_sid" in it's configuration, and some other probes are using "subsystem", and "subsystemid", and yet many other probes such as cisco_monitor lack the subsystem property in it's configuration, even though it's sending a subsystem ID when creating alarms. I don't where those subsystem ID's are defined.

So I was wondering if there is any way of getting all the SIDs a probe is using to categorize it's alarms?

Thank you taking your time

• 2.  Re: How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 04, 2013 12:00 PM

Hi,

Without looking further into it, I think this might be a little problematic. The subsystem ID is a property of the alarm and if it's not in the configuration file, then it is likely hard coded in the probe.

You could of course look at transaction history and retrieve the subsystem ID's of alarms that have passed through the NAS, but that would naturally be an incomplete list.

-jon

• 3.  Re: How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 04, 2013 03:06 PM

Hi there,

As i wrote initally, some probes, such as jboss, cdm, and logmon, have the subsystem id's defined in their configuration file, and it's possible to change those values, and after restart the new subsystem values relfect the new values. But other probes, such as controller, and cisco_monitor, doesn't have anything defined in their configuration file regardig subsystems.

I think the probes should naturally expose their subsystem id's, so that it is possible to organize them programmatically to customize notifications.

So are you sure it is not possible to get the subsystem id's for all probes, Jon?

Appreiciate your time.

• 4.  Re: How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 08, 2013 04:46 PM

There is of course the list in the nas config. I am not sure how complete this is though, and it does not tie sids to probes. Once more piece of the puzzle though.

• 5.  Re: How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 10, 2013 01:13 PM

Yes, I am aware of the list in the nas, which is easily retrived programmatically in either lua or perl, but it seems to me that the list is almost useless unless one find out which probes are using which subsystem id's on which messages. I mean, I don't want to wait for the alarm to appear before I can find out which subsystem id's it has,

I want the ability to know that programmatically before that, I and I want to use that relationship betweeeb probes, alarms, and the corresponding subsystem id's to customize who gets assisgned which alarms.

• 6.  Re: How to retrieve all the subsystem id's for a given probe using LUA and/or NSA?

Posted May 13, 2013 05:07 PM

I don't know of any ellegant answer. There is a quick dirty way to have a dig into the code. Run the 'strings' command on *nix agains the executables for each probe and tun it through a regex something like m/\d+[\.\d+]+/ and you should find any embebed SIDs. You will probably find other random matches too, and it sids are built programatically on the fly you won't get them, but it may return something useful.