DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

• 1.  Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Jul 27, 2015 10:00 PM

Hello, as part of my SOI & UIM Integration I would like to know if its possible to construct a Admin Console URL that will bring me to a specific robot that I want to view in the Admin Console?

For a specific probe I see we can enter:

http://#.#.#.#:8080/adminconsole/jsp/ProbeConfig.jsp?probe=/NMS/Alphaserve/robot/cdm

Well I was wondering if there was a way to invoke the Admin Console and launch it in context to a specific robot w/in the Admin Console tree? Anyone know off hand how to do this?

• 2.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 02:47 PM

There is no way to launch Admin Console in context to a specific robot that I could find.

Libby Chang, Engineer, UIM Core Services

• 3.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 06, 2015 05:12 PM

Daniel and Libby, what about providing users a way to "pin" pages of interest, this would allow you to quickly access robots or hubs of interest for your user account. Check out these sketches:

IMG_0549.JPG

• 4.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 12:50 PM

Hi Pedro, regarding this, I think a better approach would be the implementation of Groups from w/in the Admin Console. Like the way we can create groups from with in the Infrastructure Manager, we need ability to create Groups from w/in Admin Console. I would end up with > 50 pins and would prefer to create groups of the items I need quick access to.

• 5.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 01:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback Daniel, I have heard other users say that the ability to add groups would be useful not only to quickly find hubs/robots but also to use groups for deployment. One could group hubs/robots or even have deployment groups for probes in the archive. Maybe the pining approach would be more use if you are also able to pin groups, that way you don't have to pin hundreds of individual devices but could pin several groups of interest.

• 6.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 03:04 PM

I'd also like to add that this demonstrates static and small thinking."Pinning" a robot means that the user has to have already interacted with that robot enough times that the user has decided it requires the extra effort of "pinning" it. It also assumes that the user of the UI isn't going to routinely interact with any more systems than will fit on the display comfortably. Then over time, it assumes that the user is going to be happy deciding, given the limited desktop real-estate, which systems will be unpinned to make room for new.

Now let's consider one of my NOC users that's responsible for something on the order of 3000 robots. Where do they even start to consider which of those to manually interact with?

So if you take a step back, what you really want is the software to enable the user to interact with the systems they need to.

Grouping is a great place to start - but it has to be dynamic. No data center is static and you don't want to miss events because someone forgot to refresh their group.

Wouldn't it be nice to create a group that reflected the robots with a probe that failed to start?

To Daniel's point, we already have a tool to identify what systems need to be interacted with - it's called UIM..... If you are using some non-AdminConsole tool as your CRM (Salesforce in my case) it would be a Godsend to be able to include on the Salesforce case page a link that targeted the specific robot that generated the event. Same would be true for UMP. And it would be really neat if those supported some sort of single sign on capability that didn't depend on a generic account or embedding credentials in the URL.

-Garin

And as a PS to this, everyone should take a look at the competition. New Relic for instance - not directly a competitor in this space but overlapping. If nothing else, their UI has a lot of interesting content and functionality that would be cool to see work it's way into UIM - at least in a better and non-infringing kind of way.

• 7.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 04:12 PM

Thanks Garin,

This is great, I really like your idea to leverage dynamic groups to draw attention to devices that need action. I'll be sure to capture this in the user story we have for dynamic groups in Admin Console.

In regards to Daniel's first comment and follow up, soudns like the original problem is not being able to access a page in Admin Console more directly (a specific URL for a specific robot) when another tool has identified it as needing attention. I'll be sure we capture this feedback in our backlog as well.

• 8.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 04:53 PM

On a side note, today we can LIC directly to the specific probe with the following URL:

http://11.11.11.11:8080/adminconsole/jsp/ProbeConfig.jsp?probe=/NMS/Hub/Robot/probe 

So why not a URL that can take someone directly to the Robot itself?

• 9.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 06, 2015 05:20 PM

Daniel,

Are you trying to construct a link outside of Admin Console that someone can click and be taken directly to the robot in Admin Console?  Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish by constructing a URL to bring you to a specific robot in Admin Console?

Thanks,

Libby

• 10.  Re: Launch in Context to specific robot in Admin Console?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 12:44 PM

LChange, Service Operations Insight (SOI) is the MOM of all CA IM products. It has connectors that tie into other CA Products, 3rd Party product and allows you to create Business Service Views within SOI.

We have Spectrum, UIM, eHealth, etc, and our NOC uses SOI as the central alarm console from all domain managers. Since there is no LIC to a robot w/in Infrastructure Manager, the next obvious option would of been the UIM's Admin Console. Really need to add this ability since it would cut out many steps for when our NOC engineers need to jump into the probe to check out its configuration after receiving an alert.