DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Regular Expression for filtering nas alarms based on host name

Posted Jul 20, 2010 11:33 PM

I am new to Nimsoft and am trying to create nas alerts based on Production vs. Test servers.  I want to filter out Test servers in my Production server alert.  Our naming convention is as follows.

role - up to 6 characters

test designation (if applicable) - 4 characters

sequence - 2 digits

location - 3 characters

so as an example:  I have two servers

pimapp01sea - Production PIM Application Server 1 in Seattle

pimapptest01sea - Test PIM Application Server 1 in Seattle

I want to filter my alerts so that my Production nas profile only alerts for production servers.  I used RegexBuddy to create this expression and it test out fine in RegexBuddy but when I try it in Nimsoft it doesn't match the string.

[a-z]+(?<!test)[0-9]{2}sea\.domain\.com

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my expression?  Any help is much appreciated.

• 2.  Re: Regular Expression for filtering nas alarms based on host name

Posted Jul 21, 2010 02:53 AM

Okay, I figured it out myself.  I didn't realize that expressions had to have /^ at the beginning and / at the end.

This worked for me.

/^[a-z]+(?<!test)[0-9]{2}sea\.domain\.com/

• 3.  Re: Regular Expression for filtering nas alarms based on host name

Posted Jul 22, 2010 06:01 PM

Just to clarify a little for those not used to working with regexes in Nimsoft probes:

The requirement in a lot of probes is that you need to surround the regex with slashes, like so:

/<regex>/

If you don't a text comparison is usually done instead, though some probes do allow pattern matching where the pattern will be turned into a regex. If you need to match on a slash you need to escape it with a backslash, otherwise you will proably confuse the regex engine quite a bit.

The ^ simply says that the regex has to match from the start of the line. A fine distinction, but it could turn out to be an important one!

Cheers,

Stian