DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jun 21, 2010 07:05 PM

All,

I am talking to a prospect today that wants to know if we can do BGP peer monitoring. I think a partial answer is that it isn't out of the box. Can we do BGP peer monitoring?  Have you done it before?  If no, can NMS be customized by services to do BGP peer monitoring?

Thanks for your help.

Lee

• 2.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jun 21, 2010 07:15 PM

Looks like we do this if the router can forward events to snmptd or if the router can be accessed via snmp.  Right?  Any other thoughts?  I don't see anything in the probe doc on this.

Thanks

• 3.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jun 21, 2010 07:23 PM

One of our cusotmers, ViaWest, does this via a Nagios perl script theat we truned into a probe. It just is checking the connectivity to the neighbors and alarming based on status.

• 4.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jun 21, 2010 11:49 PM

I have a custom probe based on the one Jim mentions, changed to make it a bit more generic. Currently it only checks the state for a configurable set of uplinks.

• 5.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Sep 09, 2010 06:09 PM

Attaching the probe...

• 6.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jan 12, 2016 01:34 AM

hi Richard,

I'm waiting for probe....

• 7.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 11:47 AM

Hi Prashanth. This was written for a customer over 5 years ago, and as far as I know has not been tested since. Attached is the script and a sample configuration. It is written in perl, so you will need to install perl (activestate perl if on Windows), and add the Net::SNMP package. Again if using activestate you can do that with "ppm install Net::SNMP".

Attachment(s)

zip
    bgpmon.pl.zip   3 KB 1 version
    zip
    bgpmon.cfx.zip   468 B 1 version

• 8.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jan 09, 2016 09:06 AM

Interesting, could you please share me the script which works in CA UIM and steps to enable BGP peer status monitoring ..

Thank you

Prashanth

• 9.  Re: BGP peer monitoring

Posted Jan 13, 2016 09:10 AM

Hi Lee

yes, out of the box spectrum doesn't seem to support BGP peering. However, we did do a lot of customizing to get it working here at BNL.

Since we have a fixed number of BGP peers (12 or so) it wasn't too difficult to implement with alertmaps, and events.

We use snmp BGP traps from the routers to trigger the events. We also have service monitors in place for reports and SLA uses.

Since we have some redundant BGP peerings we can loose one and the routing switches to the other peer and the service is not down, just degraded.

However, this area of spectrum customization is not documented very well. you will need to get tech support assistance to configure it with spectrum.

Once you get the first couple BGP peers going, rinse, lather, and repeat for your other BGP peers.

The CA Spectrum tech support folks have promised us they would enhance the documentation in this area with explanations and some examples.