DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Remove domain suffixes from router names

• 1.  Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 22, 2014 06:03 AM

In NFA 9.2 I'm struggling with removing domain suffixes from router names. I'm using the 'Router Domains' field in 'Application Settings'.

How can I expect this to work? Will it remove the suffix from the name, or only from the displayname? Will it work for all routers in NFA or only for new arrivals? How long will it take to see differences, e.g. do I have to logout and login again? Are router name changes propagated to CAPC device alias?

I would want to remove two suffixes, such as .aaa.bbb and .ccc.ddd. What would be the correct syntax for this? I believe I tried all combinations of comma and spaces, without desired effect.

Thanks!

Bernd

• 2.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2014 08:04 AM

.aaa.bbb,.ccc.ddd should work. And it should apply to all routers although it may take a few cycles for it to take effect. If it's not working this way, open a case with support because it would seem something is broken.

• 3.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 22, 2014 08:51 AM

Stuart,

what do you mean by 'a few cycles'?

Thanks!

Bernd

• 4.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 22, 2014 08:58 AM

45 minutes or so. Maybe up to an hour and a half.

• 5.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2014 09:32 AM

Can you check your NFA console's reporter database to see if your routers.routerName column has the names for your devices or just has NULL values?

MySQL -P3308 -D reporter -t -e "select devicealias, routerName from routers;"

Normally only the DeviceAlias column should have the Router name, and I believe the Domain setting on the Application page will remove the domain suffix from that column, but not the routerName column.

The routerName column I believe is only used when you manually edit a router's name in the Admin->Physical & Virtual fields.

• 6.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 23, 2014 08:44 AM

That seems correct, and I have a few devices where the suffix was deleted; but for most routers sysname and devicealias are identical.

• 7.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 22, 2014 09:41 AM

I'm about to embark into NFA, and am curious about the utility of this feature. Is removing the domain-suffixes just to make the elements shorter and thus perhaps the dashboards easier to read?  Or is there some other value that's added by doing this?

• 8.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2014 09:44 AM

It just removes the domain suffix, and usually as far as I know it is used so the router names are shorter and easier to read in reports.

• 9.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Oct 23, 2014 08:33 AM

Tried that, actually tried that before but wasn't sure if I had overlooked something.

Guess, I will have Support have a look at it

• 10.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2015 07:22 AM

Hi guys, I'm working on the same customer as Bernd initially, so I'd like to continue in this thread.

In the end we didn't apply any alias definitions, we managed to make the customer remove almost all of the FQDNs from his network devices.

The problem I have now, I'm starting to see some mismatch in Device names, the following database querys are probably self explanatory:

mysql> select ItemName, Alias , DisplayName, AlternateName from t_device where ItemName like 'pjan02%';

+----------+-------+-------------+---------------+

| ItemName | Alias | DisplayName | AlternateName |

| pjan020  | NULL  | pjan020     | pjan018       |

| pjan021  | NULL  | pjan021     | pjan019       |

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The devices responds the following to a SNMP query:

$ snmpwalk -v2c -cXXX ***.***.***.194 sysname

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: pjan020

$ snmpwalk -v2c -cXXX ***.***.***.195 sysname

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: pjan021

My question is, where does AlternateName come from and how to change it?

Many thanks

Michael

• 11.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Posted Jan 08, 2015 08:01 AM

Hm, that's a table from CAPC. Sorry, I won't be able to help you with that one since I've avoided CAPC as much as possible until it is more mature. My guess would be that it possibly comes from another data source. Do you see the AlternateName show up anywhere in the GUI?

• 12.  Re: Remove domain suffixes from router names

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2015 08:07 AM

Sorry forgot to mentioned that it's in CA PC.

Yep I see it in the GUI and that is the problem, it's on the router details page coming up as Device Alias Name:

device_display_name.png