DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

• 1.  Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 27, 2015 04:28 PM

Hello UIM Community!

Exciting Changes are coming this April 2015!

The CA UIM Community will be migrating over to our brand new Community Platform!  This new technology platform is sure to enhance the experience for all our members.  

Please watch for an invitation to see a demo.  We will be scheduling a few sessions so as to ensure maximum attendance. 

Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to the move.

-Melissa Potvin

Your CA Community Manager

• 2.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 27, 2015 09:26 PM

I hope this is a good thing.

UIM users tend to be resistant to change....

-Garin (hoping that you set an example in this effort that is worthy of UIM product management following)

• 3.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 27, 2015 11:15 PM

I'm looking forward to it, as long as it's not the same stuff as other CA communities :smileyhappy: snap central's newer lithium seemed alright.

-jon

• 4.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 06:18 PM

Hi Jon,   we will be scheduling some demos for the very near future which will show you all the wonderful new features and functionality you will now have with this migration to a new community platform. Please be on the lookout for more announcements ! Thanks for writing in. 

• 5.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 06:16 PM

Hi Garin, Yes ! I completely understand that change can be scary. We will be scheduling some demos for the very near future so you know what's to come... look forward to your feedback then !

• 6.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 11:21 PM

I don't think I used the word scary. A more appropriate word based on my experience with CA improvements would be "painful" or "frustrating".

Also, while I like demos as much as the next person, if I need instruction on how to use the replacement for this style of forum or to be shown the features, it will wither. Already participation in this forum is low. That's not something you want to risk damaging further.

For example, I think that the conversion of the UIM documentation over to wiki is a nice example of how one can take a good idea and fairly good documentation and combine them to wreck both. 

And I'm curious what is driving the change and who contributed to the design/implementation of the replacement. That might have been a thing to ask forum participants here.

-Garin

• 7.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 12:17 AM

hi Garin ! thanks for your insights.  CA Technologies has already migrated it's other communities to a best of breed collaborative community platform. We are very excited by this change as the features and functionalies are far more robust than what we have today.   We remain excited to bring the UIM community over as the final community to migrate.  I am going to ask you to reserve some judgement for when you have a chance to see and try the new platform! :smileyhappy:  If you can use facebook or most any other social platform you will find this just as easy. However, we have oodles of training materials available to address all the different and vast baselines of knowledge as we recognize some adapt easier than others.  

Please stand by as we only posted the one announcement to the community thus far. Much more information and documentation is coming including: "What's Different" and "FAQ". This will all come around the same time as when we release the demo schedule which I hope you will attend. 

I do look forward to hearing more feedback once we have a chance to show you the new system. Thanks so much for writing in.

Your Community Manager,

Melissa Potvin 

• 8.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 01:48 AM

I am going to assume that you didn't mean to insult me with your response. As happens so often with social media, the execution and the intent fail to coincide. You might want to reread your response and ask yourself what  I might have thought reading it. And if that is what you wanted me to hear. And if that is what you wanted others to hear.

The implication that Facebook is a hurdle for me to use and is a measure of my abilities made me chuckle. Unfortunately it also made me wonder why I should continue to invest in CA products if this is the direction they are going.

I'm also not exactly sure what "However, we have oodles of training materials available to address all the different and vast baselines of knowledge as we recognize some adapt easier than others." implies about me. Doesn't sound good though. 

So, I'll use the fourth emoticon ever of my life :smileyfrustrated:. If I understand the usage correctly, it says "smiley" (means that I'm happy) and "frustrated" (means that I'm frustrated). 

-Garin (Judgement reserved and still hopeful but less so now)

• 9.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 04:46 PM

Melissa,

Do you if there are plans to revamp the support site for UIM? In particular it would be helpful if users could reply to support cases via email rather than get an email request then go log into a website and provide the requested information. 

Thanks

• 10.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:26 PM

Yes, reply to email would be a huge benefit.

As additional justification to that, we also use Salesforce and because of the way Salesforce works, you can only be logged into one customer's instance at a time. So, in order to use Salesforce to manage my CA cases, I have to log out of my company's instance.

I actually run the CA instance of Salesforce on a VM to keep it separate because I live in Salesforce as part of my normal non-UIM responsibilities.

-Garin

• 11.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:33 PM
    I agree with you Garin, I used to come around frequently trying to dig up information but so much has been lost, misplaced or is incorrect since Nimsoft was bought out its beyond frustrating trying to remain supportive towards the product. I love the idea behind the original thought of Nimsoft but it's execution has not worked out so well.

• 12.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:50 PM

hi Odom,   I realize this has been a very big frustration for many of our community members!  I hope you will participate in our demo of our new community platform - so that we can show you some of the new features that will allow for simplified search capabilities (and many other great new features). I anticipate we will announce demo dates to the community today.

• 13.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:40 PM

hi Garin, never would i intend to insult! But I am so sorry that you feel that way. I think it would be best if we speak by phone so I can best answer your questions directly.  May i contact you?  If so, please provide a number where i can reach you. All the best,

M

• 14.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 06:57 PM

"However, we have oodles of training materials available to address all the different and vast baselines of knowledge as we recognize some adapt easier than others."

This implies that Mellissa's direct experience with the product is probably limited to the sales slides.  She may work in marketing and may not even be a dedicated UIM/Nimsoft resource.  This is not meant as an insult, in fact, if she has the technical background to start documenting some of the gaps, I would beg CA to hand off forum wrangling to marketing or account management, and please put Mellissa on the task of fixing the official documentation while there are still enough customers to have a forum.

She's just trying to announce moving the forum which shouldn't be a big deal, and it wouldn't be if CA communicated how the product is intended to work and be deployed in the official documentation.  You actually be technical and have to try to use this product to understand how useless the current documentation is.  And you have to have history with the product to know how much it has deteriorated with each additional "improvement" from CA including multiple attempts to fix the documentation which allways starts with a new place to put it, and never quite gets to putting valid content anywhere.  At least we're not still on chm docs, so it could be worse right?  Although arguably the content was more complete back then.

We're a surly community.  We're not resistent to change. We've just lost ?most? of our confidence in CA's ability to deliver change.  It's now at the point that even support doesn't know how UIM is supposed to work and they are often contradicting the official documentation when it exists.  Then when you poke at it to find the truth of how it works, and both versions are wrong.  The only thing you can be sure of is that it won't work the same in the next poorly documented release three months from now.

Unfortunately the huge failure to deliver documented usable releases and accompanying documentation has made this forum a lifeline.  We're all reverse engineering this pig together because there is no other option if you want to continue to use it.  The forum allows us to fill the enormous gaps between the oodles of incorrect, contradictory, and incoherent baselines of official "knowledge" coming out of CA so we can wrestle modest success out of their failure to deliver.  We're a research group trying to figure out what the **** you've been building since everyone that knows is too busy building the newer thing to bother telling the customers how the current GA release is supposed to be used.

Of course none of this is Mellissa's fault.  The best she can do is carry the sentiment back to the business unit that owns the product. But they already know.  So maybe they finally fix it?  At least the reams of new code being poured into it reveal that it's strategic for them and that they're reinvesting.  Somebody cares.  Hopefully Mellissa is in sales.  They're usually better at getting the business to fix a product deficiency because they control the purse, and they specialize in pursuasion.

• 15.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 07:24 PM

I think that the phrase from my distant childhood is "Ditto!"

The only comment I would make, and I mean in no way to detract from Rays statement, is that I would amend his statement

"We've just lost ?most? of our confidence in CA's ability to deliver change"

to be

"We've just lost ?most? of our confidence in CA's ability to deliver change for the better"

Right now my life as it relates to CA's UIM product is completely wrecked by the volume of change I receive in each software release. I have lots of confidence that I will continue to receive change. I have almost zero confidence that it will be, even on average, to my benefit.

On the positive side, at least hub 7.63 has moved into a level of maturity/stability measured in weeks rather than hours. Kind of like Windows NT 4.0 compared to 3.5. It's progress though.

-Garin

• 16.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 08:00 PM

Ha, that might be my fault in an odd way.  There is a massive amount of change under the hood of the 7 series hub that address a lot of things you will be glad to have improved or fixed.  It's one of those fairly large technical accomplishments that should get praise but lands with complaints due to the lack of communication.  They're tightening the release process on that core component too so that the future is less exciting.

• 17.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 08:17 PM

hi Ray, and thanks so much for writing in.   Just want to clarify one thing... the training materials i was referring to was specific to the new community platform - not the UIM product itself. 

Oh, i should probably also clarify - I do not work in sales.  I am a CA Community Manager. I manage all customer facing communities for CA's Enterprise Management Business Unit.  Happy to help in any way I can.  I am always here to help this community and I will be sure to bring all this feedback back to the business.   Please continue to provide me your feedback. 

Thanks so much,

Melissa

• 18.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 12:03 AM

Will the currrent forum archive still be available for a while?  There are a lot of things not officially documented anywhere, and the forum archive fills a needed gap.

• 19.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 07:56 AM

Melissa please don't tell me its moving to here:

https://communities.ca.com/places

The current UIM communities located at forum.nimsoft.com is far superior to that site above. This site is much cleaner, easier to use and follow. 

If it is, PLEASE preserve the sub-communites from here. 

Move all threads over.

• 20.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 05:17 PM
    I am a bit worried about that as well. Have used the "new" communities site a bit related to my user group, and it does not in any way, shape or form replace the function of a forum.

So if that is it, please abort mission.

• 21.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 06:24 PM

hi Anders, i'm glad you wrote in.   I'd like to hear more about your specific concerns.  May I reach out to you?  If yes, please provide your email address with a confirmation I can reach out to you directly!  Also, be on the lookout for an invitation to see a demo of the new community platform.  Thank you so much.

-Melisa

• 22.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 10:59 PM
    hi Anders, if you are referring to a local user group in our new community platform the look and feel of the user groups are a bit different than how this will be structured.  Be sure to download the ics calendar invite for an upcoming demo in February. Thanks.

• 23.  Re: Announcement!  Exciting Changes are coming for the CA UIM Community!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 06:22 PM

hi Dan,  (so sorry if this causes you concern!) We are moving this community over to our new platform and yes all content will be moving over so you will not lose any discussion threads or comments.  With this change, you will no longer have to bounce from one place to another.  

Dan - please reach out to me directly if you have any specific concerns or considerations.  You know my email :smileyhappy: and you also know I am always willing to discuss your ideas and thoughts.  Hope to hear from you.