IT Process Automation

View Only

Using separators and variable names with File Content Operator

• 1.  Using separators and variable names with File Content Operator

Posted Feb 19, 2020 03:45 AM

Hi everyone, 
    I try to read results from log files within a Process Automation process. From the documentation the "Search File Content Operator" would fit my intentions. However I am not able to configure it correctly. I tried to follow the example given in the documentation:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/automic-process-automation/04-3-05/reference/operators-reference/operator-overview/file-management-operators/search-file-content-operator.html 

For my test I used a text file ending with the following lines:

Total tables : 5
    Total rows   : 250000
    Total inserts: 220000
    Total updates:0
    Total errors : 30000

My configuration for the operator has been:

Pattern: "Total errors : #.*#"
    Separator: #
    (I also tried "#")

Variable Names: Process[OpName].countErrors

When I save the process I get the following validation error:

"Variable names:: Maximum 0 elements should be there in the array. within panel 'File Pattern Match'.
    and I am not able to save.

I understand that Process automation parses the pattern and expects the same number of variables as there have been "zones" embraced by the separator character. But in my example this would be the case. I also tried different separators like |, !, / which should not mask anything according to regular expressions - but no difference. 

Does someone know what I am doing wrong or what I am  missing in this configuration ? I tried it with several versions of Process Automation with the same result so I am not assuming it is a bug.

Regards,

Armin

------------------------------
    Services Architect
    HCL Technologies Austria GmbH
    ------------------------------