IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Connecting PAM Processes into Query/Response

Posted Jun 25, 2018 07:06 PM

Here is the ask. Essentially just exploring the possibilities of whether this can happen in Process Automation.

Scenario:

You load into an IRF within PAM. The form that is presented asks a number of questions. Such as: name, address, employee ID number, etc. Once submitted this request goes through the workflow process. Queries active directory based upon the ID number provided, and returns all of the group memberships for this user.

Current:

We are currently aware on how to return these values as variables into an email, another process, etc.

Ask:

Is it possible to return these values within the IRF that you submitted and/or automatically send you to another page with another IRF that contains the results. Such as, here are the group members. Now we design that page to do something with the results.

Instead of a linear workflow we are getting more of an application based response. Feeding in data, getting results, feeding in additional data, getting results. Until the process comes to a completion.

Has anyone done this before? How would you recommend as being the best way to proceed.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Connecting PAM Processes into Query/Response

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2018 08:57 AM

I am interested to see if anyone has any suggestions on this as well.   I think we are going to have a problem getting this all to work within a single Form, as data entered into the form isnt actually stored in the process until the form is submitted.  

You could definitely do this with a series of forms, where the 2nd form presented displays and uses data from the prior form, but this would require the user to complete one form, and open another.

One idea might be to build a separate page that users access which interacts with Process Automation and the forms through our API.  

SOAP: SOAP API Reference - CA Process Automation - 04.3.02 - CA Technologies Documentation 

REST: CA Process Automation Open REST APIs - CA Process Automation - 04.3.02 - CA Technologies Documentation 

In theory you could build a page that allows interaction with Form A, then once submitted and the process acts on that data in the background display and allow interaction with Form B without leaving that particular page.

• 3.  Re: Connecting PAM Processes into Query/Response

Posted Jun 26, 2018 07:39 PM

Thanks Michael. Appreciate your initial feedback on this subject.

It seems like it is possible to pass IRF to IRF within Pam by using an assign user task function. Then you could email the link each time it was created to the end user and pass the variables moving one stage at a time. This is super messy though obviously. But I think it is possible based upon my current interpretation of the system.

Is there a way upon IRF completion (submission) that it could forward you to the next page? Somehow? I know the link for the user task is created post submission. Which is where PAM also closes the session for you to leave. The ability to pass that link back to the initial user is what is currently missing.

Thoughts?

• 4.  Re: Connecting PAM Processes into Query/Response
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 11:57 AM

There isnt really a way to have one from pass you to another form, as the 2nd form does not really exist outside of the form template until the process reaches it in the flow and I do not believe we can change the outcome of the button in the form to pass you to another location.   

You could setup a series of tasks and email the user as the process moves between steps.   That would likely be the simplest to create and get up and running, but isnt as seamless as we might like as they would have to either access the form from their email, or from the task list page.

• 5.  Re: Connecting PAM Processes into Query/Response

Posted Jul 05, 2018 08:34 AM

From what i've read in the documentation you can get REST or SOAP data from within the IRF script so you only need to create a webServer that offers an API and the said webServer that returns the groups after a ldap query in AD .