IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  PAM Process to Wait for SDM Change Order Status Change

Posted Aug 21, 2015 10:34 AM

I am fairly new to CA Process Automation, so I'm sure this will be a simple solution.  Using the CA Service Desk ITIL Pack examples, I am trying to have my workflow pause until the user moves a change to a certain status.  I see how to make the workflow move the status, but I don't want it to continue until the user move this.

1. Can someone help me in understanding how to accomplish this?

2. If there is a resource I can go to and read up on this or potentially watch a tutorial, that would also be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• 2.  Re: PAM Process to Wait for SDM Change Order Status Change
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:46 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of different ways to approach this, but I would suggest starting with the PAM out-of-the-box content.  If you click the button on the HOME tab of PAM to Browse the out-of-the-box content, this will import that content into your Library under the PAM_PreDefinedContent folder.  In this folder under "Process and Resource Management" there is a folder called "02 Start & Wait on Child Proc.".  Take a look at this process and see if this is what you are looking for.  There are several other examples here that might help such as the "Using the Loop Operator" under "Getting Started" or "Evaluate Expression" in the "Handling Conditions and Loops" folder. 

Finally, I have also seen custom processes using the Event operators which have the idea of one process monitoring for Events while another process launches events.  So the monitor Event operator waits on another process to launch an Event.

Like I said, lots of ways to approach this.  Hopefully some of the above will help.

• 3.  Re: PAM Process to Wait for SDM Change Order Status Change

Posted Aug 21, 2015 02:02 PM

Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply.  My initial approach was to do a loop that would check the status of the Change Order until it was changed.  Then the loop would exit.  My concern there (and this is because I'm not as experienced with the tool yet) is what performance impact will that have on PAM and CA Service Desk Manager should I have it check every minute or so and loop that.  This would be making a web service call every minute from what I understand on potentially dozens of open changes at any time.  I'll keep experimenting with this.  Thank you so much for your response!  It was helpful.

Kenneth

• 4.  Re: PAM Process to Wait for SDM Change Order Status Change

Posted Aug 22, 2015 05:32 AM

My personal preference would be to divide the PAM process into two - what happens up front and what happens on the status change - and have SDM launch the second stage of the PAM process in an Activity Notification event from the 'Update Status' activity.  That way you don't have an indefinite number of PAM processes waiting indefinitely for something to happen.

Hope that helps :-)

Regards, James

• 5.  Re: PAM Process to Wait for SDM Change Order Status Change

Posted Aug 24, 2015 03:39 PM

Hi Kenneth,

I agree with James. Take a look at the Process Control operators Monitor Event and Send Event. You can use the Monitor Event in the process you want to pause. Create another process that you will launch when when the appropriate status change is made and use the Send Event in that new process.

Cheers,

Lindsay