IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Add workflows to Incident/Request after ticket creation.

Posted Mar 10, 2015 04:28 PM

Hello All,

I am looking for the best way to be able to add workflows to Incidents and Requests.  We need the flexibility of adding the workflows after a ticket was created so just assigning them to the Request/Incident areas would not do the job.  The Classic CA workflows are currently not supported in SDM 12.9 and per CA they no longer support the CA Workflow module which leaves us with CA ITPAM. 

Does any one have ideas on how to use ITPAM and still give the analyst the option of creating the workflows on an as needed basis.  Say I get a ticket and know that I will need assistance from two other teams.  I need to be able to create those worflows and assign them accordingly. 

My initial thought would be to assign a generic process to the R/I area and then setup a IRF where I can select from list of workflows.

Any ideas or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew.  

• 2.  Re: Add workflows to Incident/Request after ticket creation.

Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:13 PM

You can define a PAM workflow as available for launch by a macro - that gives you the option of launching a PAM process from an Activity Notification event such as 'Transfer' or 'Update Status'.  To do that, create an event that runs an 'Execute PAM process' macro, create the macro that calls your PAM process, and associate the event with an Activity Notification. Another option if you want two different teams to action a ticket would be to create child requests with a category that has your PAM process associated and assign each child ticket to the relevant support team.

Hope that helps!

James

• 3.  Re: Add workflows to Incident/Request after ticket creation.

Posted Mar 13, 2015 10:12 AM

Hi James,

Would this still give us the option to manually insert workflow tasks (within the PAM workflow)? We are trying to come up with an option in lieu of Classic Workflow, without having to create a new ticket to the other team(s). When the ticket is initially created, we won't know how many workflow tasks we may need to assign out (if any).

Thanks!

• 4.  Re: Add workflows to Incident/Request after ticket creation.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2015 10:33 AM

You can create as many Process Automation Tasks as you would like and they can be designed dynamically.

You could design your process so that it queries Service Desk, pulls in and calculates the number of tasks, and then assign the to the same or to multiple different users or possibly perform some of those user tasks automatically.

• 5.  Re: Add workflows to Incident/Request after ticket creation.

Posted Mar 15, 2015 09:38 PM

Lots of possibilities - for example, you could launch a PAM process that waits for someone to fill in a form with details of the tasks and their assignment - or as Michael suggests your process could retrieve some or all of that detail from the ticket. Once you work out the requirements in detail I'm sure you'll be able to put something together.  If you haven't already, I'd suggest you download the Content Package for ITIL which has a number of sample processes which are a good source of ideas about how to interact with Service Desk.